Database Content Dump

zgoodwin

Hey all,

I checked the search page and it didn't seem to be much help. I am a progress newbie with a background in mySQL and I only need to use progress for this one job. And that job is, is to dump the contents of a progress database into a tab delimited CVS file. The problem is I don't currently own the progress dev. suite. All I have access to is the Progress User Interface that comes with Springbrook Accounting software, and I all I can get that admin to do is to dump the table definitions. The server it runs on has the ODBC driver but I can't seem to make it dump the table's contents either. I tried the -rx flags for the admin tool and that was still a no go. It is looking like my only option is to acquire a progress database, but at around 3K it doesn't look to appealing.

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks!

Zac Goodwin

Crittar

Zac,

I don't know anything about Springbook so this could be way off the mark but...

If you can get access to the dictionary one of the options in there is to dump the data, I'm not sure if you could specify tab delimiter but if you can gtet the data out you could (I'm sure) change the delimiter using something else.

zgoodwin

Crittar said:
Zac,

I don't know anything about Springbook so this could be way off the mark but...

If you can get access to the dictionary one of the options in there is to dump the data, I'm not sure if you could specify tab delimiter but if you can gtet the data out you could (I'm sure) change the delimiter using something else.

See the problem is that the option to dump the contents is greyed out. I can only dump the field defs.

cecsno

Try this program, it will dump all non metaschema tables.

def var dump-dir as char.
def var dump-file as char.
dump-dir = "\r\". /*you define*/
for each _file no-lock where not _file-name begins "_":
dump-file = _file-name.
output to value(dump-dir + "export.p").

put skip.
put unformatted "def var rec-cnt as int.".
put skip.
put unformatted "output to " + dump-dir + _file-name + ".csv.".
put skip.
put unformatted "for each " + dump-file + " no-lock:".
put skip.
put unformatted "rec-cnt = rec-cnt + 1.".
put skip.
put unformatted " export delimiter "","" " + dump-file + ".".
put skip.
put "end.".
put skip.
put unformatted "output close.".
put skip.
put unformatted "pause 1 .".
output close.
run value(dump-dir + "export.p").
end.