Data import

TColeman

I am working on a Windows NT platform using Progress 9.0.

Using the Database Administration tool I am trying to import comma delimited text (from a .txt file) into a database table (for GUI testing purposes). But it never imports anything. Is there a known bug or a trick I am missing?

Thanks for any help.

Terri

tdi

Progress Fan
I had the same odd behavior, the confusing thing was that the docs all over indicated that the comma is a valid delimiter, but i had to use some other product (you must read Foxpro) to remove the commas, and all went fine.
A word of caution, use the "normal" interchange format, except the commas, that is, "" for strings, numbers without commas, etc, and you'll have it...
Any extra comment, find me at ProgressDBA@Excite.com

TColeman

tdi, I tried using space as a delimiter and it didn't like that either. I don't understand your Foxpro comment. My text file looks something like this:

1 Smith 1 Jones
2 Williams 1 Jones

where field one is an integer, two is character, three is an integer and four is a character. Still doesn't worked. I tried putting the strings in "" and that didn't work. Frustration is setting in and am getting ready to write procedures to get test information into the database.

Thanks for your help.

Terri

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Terri-

Are you importing all field or some when doing the import command? If you are doing all, then fields in your data file must be in the same order that they are defined in the data dictionary. Are you getting any error messages when trying to import the file, or any kind of an error log?

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

TColeman

Chris,

I am importing all the fields and they are in the proper order. I am not getting any error messages/logs, just the information box that says "0 records in Delimited ASCII format loaded..."

Terri

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Terri-

I am not sure what is going on... but I have never really used the data admin import tool, so there could very well be some kind of bug you are running into.

Why not just write a simple Progress program to do the import:

(untested)...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana">code:</font><HR><pre>
input from customer.txt no-echo.

repeat:
create customer.
import delimiter ","
customer.cust-num
customer.name.
end.
[/code]

Hope this helps,
-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com

TColeman

Thanks for the assistance Chris. For one I am doing a lot of testing and writing a 4GL for everything would be time consuming. However, I found out from Tech Support that PROGRESS\bin must be in your system PATH. That did solve my problem.

Thanks for your assistance.

Terri

Chris Kelleher

Administrator
Staff member
Terri-

Glad to hear that PSC tech support was able to help out here. They are always so helpful! My guess is that the data import must use the quoter.exe program, which is in DLC/bin. Make sense
smile.gif

-Chris

------------------
Chris Schreiber
ProgressTalk.com Manager
chris@fast4gl.com