Comment Custom ODBC, JDBC, ADOdotNET for your Application

Dion Picco

Greetings everyone

Many people are unfamiliar with this so I wanted to send out an awareness notice. Progress has a great SDK called DataDirect OpenAccess that allows you to build a custom ODBC, JDBC, or ADO.NET driver for your application. This driver can do anything you want, and rather than connecting directly to the OE database, it connects to your business logic. This lets you enforce custom multi-tenancy, redefine a logical schema, easily integrate with ETL tools, and much more. I've attached a solution brief that describes it in more detail and includes links for more info and download.

I hope this is helpful to some of you struggling to bring SQL-92 compliance to your application, and allowing it to easily integrate with virtually any BI, reporting, or ETL tool on the market today.
Cheers!

--Dion Picco
Progress Software

Attachments

• Solution Brief - OpenAccess for OpenEdge - June 20 2013.pdf
    348.7 KB · Views: 18

Marian EDU

Thanks for sharing Dion, at some point was beginning to think it's something wrong with me wanting to access the business logic/services level instead of the de-facto raw data access everyone is used to :)

This makes perfect sense in Progress apps using application server, did started something for JDBC myself - http://www.ganimede.ro/cms/lang/en-us/products/abl-jdbc/overview/

However the Open Client solution might help others have a smoother road :)