Resolved CPU Limit for OpenEdge 11.3 in a VM Environment

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
HI

So I got a new VM Server which has 6 cores with 2 virtual per core. So I cranked-up my development VM instance with the maximum 12 CPU and when the server booted up, the process for the AdminServer to start and just paused. No information was written to the admserv.log. I waited for about 10 minutes and called it quits.

I then changed the VM setting down to 10 CPUs and its working perfectly. So does OpenEdge have a CPU limit?

INFO:
OE 11.3.2 OE Application Svr Ent/ OE Enterprise RDBMS/ 4GL Development System

Just in case you were wondering what my new machine looks like on the inside. It looks so tidy.

fr_950_size1024[1].jpg

TheMadDBA

I think it must have been something else unless it is specific to that config.

I know of quite a few installations that are running way more than 10 CPUs. Current dev box has 16 CPUs and the Prod box has 54.

Cecil

19+ years progress programming and still learning.
In a annoying turn of events I am now no longer able to start any VM instance of the with more that 8 CPUs due to a licensing limitation of the ESXi server. I think we were previously today running on a 60 day trail licence which had unlimited CPU count. Then we applied the FREE ESXi licence which has seamed to introduce the 8 CPU limit . Oh well never mind it's way better than I had before of only 2 CPUs.

Last edited: