Connect to Progress v9 on Tru64 from windows?

Manic

Is there any way I can connect to a Progress v9 database on a Tru64 (Digital) Unix from a Win32 station or a win32 webserver? I was just looking at the Merant site (now called data direct I think) and it looks like thier product Matrix says that I can't do this with their current product line.

I am an SQL guy and want to be able to use ASP or PHP on a web server to present data on the web with my Win 2k webserver the same I would grab data from SQL server or Oracle databases...

Any ideas are helpful!

Thanks

U

Unregistered

Ahh yes. Look at www.peg.com where this sort of things was discussed last week. SQL-92 may be what you are looking for.

Murray

U

Unregistered

It will be a bit problematic. When you define your DNS connection, you must state PUB.table for some weird reason.

Manic

Thanks, but... I'm even further back than that!

Sorry for sounding dumb, but I'm still a real newbie here - I went to the PEG to look at the lists and i can only see back about a week - I've subscribed to a couple a groups so I don't miss anything that comes up - is there any way i can see "archived" threads?

I also don't have any ODBC, ADO, or OLE DB drivers for my client system (Win32) or for my server yet(Tru 64 Unix - Formerly digital unix) I'm reasonably new to Unix and to Progress and to Progress running on Unix and don't know what's going to be the best route to get data out of my system so that i can present it on the web (and maybe even write some data back to the database!) I can do a bit of character programming in the 4GL and I'm very familiar with ASP/Coldfusion/PHP serverside scripting on webservers and have previously only worked with SQL server and Oracle databases

This is a system that another company programmed in 4GL that runs just about every part of our company. They set up the Unix server and installed everything for us. I don't even have the Progress installation media so I don't even know what I should have access to. I just need a starting point to the cleanest way to get "live" data out of the database (preferably using a DSN on my Win32 machine with "standard" SQL statements)

MurrayH

SQL-92

Ok you need find the directory where the database is (lets assume /data/live/mydb). Now:
cd /data/live/mydb
vi mydb.lg
Look for these lines:

07:20:36 BROKER 0: Service Name (-S):
{The above line tells you the socket the database is served on}
This broker supports both 4GL and SQL server groups. (8865)
{The above line tells me we have SQL-92 support}.

Now you could use the SQL-92 bits of Progress which require the install of the Merant specific SQL-92 ODBC driver on NT OR they may be an ODBC library under $DLC somewhere. This should give you ODBC on Tru64 (ie no need to go to Windows). Look for $DLC/lib/libJdbcProgress.so for JDBC access (requires SQL-92)

The other option is to go to www.openlink.co.uk and get their ODBC driver which works quite well. This does not require the SQL-92 license and you can get the 2 user license free!!

Hope that helps you along a bit.

Muttay

MurrayH

SQL-92

Ok you need find the directory where the database is (lets assume /data/live/mydb). Now:
cd /data/live/mydb
vi mydb.lg
Look for these lines:

07:20:36 BROKER 0: Service Name (-S):
{The above line tells you the socket the database is served on}
This broker supports both 4GL and SQL server groups. (8865)
{The above line tells me we have SQL-92 support}.

Now you could use the SQL-92 bits of Progress which require the install of the Merant specific SQL-92 ODBC driver on NT OR they may be an ODBC library under $DLC somewhere. This should give you ODBC on Tru64 (ie no need to go to Windows). Look for $DLC/lib/libJdbcProgress.so for JDBC access (requires SQL-92)

The other option is to go to www.openlink.co.uk and get their ODBC driver which works quite well. This does not require the SQL-92 license and you can get the 2 user license free!!

Hope that helps you along a bit.

Murray