Codepage Hungarian

StoneKeeper

hello,
i want to implement an eastern europe (exactly hungarian) environement. Until now i have only experiences with a western europe db (cp ISO8859-1, german).

Question now is, what are the important things to do?

a) is the codepage ISO8859-2 that i found out correct for hungary? (also 852 for cpstream??)

b) can i use the ISO8859-1 for the db-server (NT4) and the database (V8.3) and the clients (W2000)? Its seems, that all special hungarian characters are available and also saved to the db?
c) Or is it better to setup a hungarian server (NT4-HU),db and workstation (W2000-HU)?

d) i have not found conversation tables between e.g. 850 and 852 or 8859-1 and 852 ???

e) are there other things to mention?

Please help!

cybvek

a) is YES.
b),c) doesn't matter what kind of NT server use. We use english server, english&hungarian win98/nt clients (DB is ISO8859-1 /Basic Basic) and save all hungarian special character. So maybe you can use the ISO8859-1, if you don't want, just save these spec. characters.

Regards,

Viktor

Originally posted by StoneKeeper
hello,
i want to implement an eastern europe (exactly hungarian) environement. Until now i have only experiences with a western europe db (cp ISO8859-1, german).

Question now is, what are the important things to do?

a) is the codepage ISO8859-2 that i found out correct for hungary? (also 852 for cpstream??)

b) can i use the ISO8859-1 for the db-server (NT4) and the database (V8.3) and the clients (W2000)? Its seems, that all special hungarian characters are available and also saved to the db?
c) Or is it better to setup a hungarian server (NT4-HU),db and workstation (W2000-HU)?

d) i have not found conversation tables between e.g. 850 and 852 or 8859-1 and 852 ???

e) are there other things to mention?

Please help!

StoneKeeper

hello and thank you for your response.

I have also thougt abtout the codepage 8859-1, but i am not sure.

One problem, i can imagine is, that i need textfiles for our printers (matrixprinter, 4 carboncopies). At the moment i create a textfile with printercontros sequences, send the file with a OS-Command "type" to a Novell Queue (via the NT server). I have not found another good possibility to print out from progressclient/windows without the device drivers (no control sequences, slow and always graphic fonts).

In the austrian environment there is no problem: 8859-1 to 850 is a possible convert. But to print the hungarian special characters on a matrixprinter i guess i will need the cp 852 ?

best regards
stonekeeper

cybvek

Sorry, but I never tried to print without printer drive, just use simple text file, and send it to the printer. An another possiblity to change your region settings of the client machine or/and the server machine to hungary, but it's an idea. In fact I don't know how can you solve this problem, the novell is stange for me as well the codepage conversion:)

Regards,

Viktor

Originally posted by StoneKeeper
hello and thank you for your response.

I have also thougt abtout the codepage 8859-1, but i am not sure.

One problem, i can imagine is, that i need textfiles for our printers (matrixprinter, 4 carboncopies). At the moment i create a textfile with printercontros sequences, send the file with a OS-Command "type" to a Novell Queue (via the NT server). I have not found another good possibility to print out from progressclient/windows without the device drivers (no control sequences, slow and always graphic fonts).

In the austrian environment there is no problem: 8859-1 to 850 is a possible convert. But to print the hungarian special characters on a matrixprinter i guess i will need the cp 852 ?

best regards
stonekeeper

Hi,

In Hungary we use 852, ISO8859-2 and 437 (old printers without full hungarian charcater support) codepages.
In our application we maintain a table where we can describe what kind of printer (codeapge) is supported on the workstation. When we print the application send the appropriate escape characters to set-up a printer. In addition we convert the file accordingly.

Regards,
Gabor

StoneKeeper

codepage 852

Hi, thank you for your response.

What OS do you use? An local WINNT Hungary on which the progress server is running (local cp 8859-2)?

Have you also setup your progress server with cp 8859-2 ? If yes, is it possible for you to send me an HU promsgs version 8.3a(cp 8859-2)?

Are your clients local WIN Hungary Versions, working with Cp 8859-2?

I also have such a system, where i can define the codepage for the stream outputfile (inkluding special control sequences).

But if i have a cp 8859-1 for the server/client, at the moment i do not have a possibility to convert to 852 for the printer (error message like: codepage conversation not possible)!!

The question is, if it is possible to convert from ISO8859-1 to 852 ? Where can i get that convmap information?

best regards

Hi,

1. Our databases run on UNIX (AIX,Linux,HP-UX) using iso8859-2 codepage.
2. The WIN clients are using codepage 1250.
3. We use UNIX scripts instead of built-in Progress conversion.
(UNIX tr command)
4. I can send hungarian promsgs file if you send your e-mail address to me. It is version 9.1C but I think you can use it with older versions.

My suggestion is use iso8859-2 / 1250 codepages for your database and in this case automatic character conversion should work fine.

Regards,
Gabor