Citrix Metaframe / WebClient solutions

KubiaK

Hello everybody,

I'm looking for informations about when to use one of the solutions above, and their requirements, costs, etc...

I need to know what are the typical cases for using each solutions. For example, Citrix says that with Metaframe and NFuse it's easy to web-enable an existing application without having to write any added code. Has anyone already experienced it ?

What are the main differences in using a "WebClient / AppServer solutions" and Citrix ?

In my mind Citrix seems to be a pertinent solution when you're already in a typical client/server environment. Am I wrong ?

Thanks for your (future) answers.

Kub.

dkellgren

We use Citrix Metaframe. It is a wonderful solution in terms of its ability to speed up your applications across a WAN. The biggest problem seems to be adding another layer of complexity. We've gone through many gyrations of problems from stability issues to printing issues to compatibility issues. For example, for some reason, a client would loose all their connected printers. After going back and forth between Citrix, Microsoft, and Progress, it was finally determined to be a string limitation on Progress's part. But bouncing around to all the tech supports was a nightmare.

We still have minor printing issues, but they are issues non-the-less. Citrix is great, but administration and maintenance make it an undesirable option. Like right now, there seems to be a random problem "writing" to one of the drives. Every now and then, a disk write will fail and cause confusing errors to appear - we especially notice it during development because of the frequent disk writes.

We use though because it saves us from having to rewrite all our existing applications - which is what you have to do with WebClient. I'm told, if you can start out with WebClient, it's the better solution. And after the time and expense with Citrix, I'd believe it.

-dk-

KubiaK

Thanx a lot for all these elements dk. It helps me in understanding the whole concept and it confirms what i had deduced from the documentations and some threads here.

So, if i had to web-enable an existing application, or just want it shared and remotely accessible, Citrix is a viable but most difficult to implement solution. If i had to start a new application, WebClient seems to be appropriate.

By the way, have you also experienced NFuse ?

"if you can start out with WebClient, it's the better solution"

I should should try it first before making that sort of judgement. Citrix does not require you to write a massive amount of complex middleware, which webclient does.

dkellgren

I don't know anything about NFuse.

Again, I know very little about WebClient. I only looked into it as an alternative solution to Citrix. When I discovered that you had to REWRITE all the code, it no longer became an option (ChrisPaulson).

A note about Web-Enabling with Citrix. They have this REALLY COOL "plug-in" that TOTALLY allows you to run ANY existing application in a web browser. It's RELLY slick. It loads a large "window" in the web browser and it acts as a portal to your application that you can hit via an http address.

The only problem with it is that you have to open a port on your firewall to allow the traffic. Trying to get your customers to "open ports on their firewall" just ain't a good idea. Many won't do it because they don't fully understand what you're trying do and just sounds suspicious... and I don't blame them.

But if that's not an issue for you, it is a GREAT thing (other than the other issues of having Citrix Metaframe already mentioned).

-dk-

Originally posted by dkellgren

A note about Web-Enabling with Citrix. They have this REALLY COOL "plug-in" that TOTALLY allows you to run ANY existing application in a web browser. It's RELLY slick. It loads a large "window" in the web browser and it acts as a portal to your application that you can hit via an http address.

This is called NFuse :D Nfuse is a layer that come over Citrix and enable to publish ANY application (including Progress) on the web.

The only problem with it is that you have to open a port on your firewall to allow the traffic. Trying to get your customers to "open ports on their firewall" just ain't a good idea. Many won't do it because they don't fully understand what you're trying do and just sounds suspicious... and I don't blame them.

Mmhhh.....wether you use Citrix or Progress Webclient, don't you have to open your port ? Anyway, when you use internet solutions, you have to focus seriously on security. In my opinion Citrix + a good firewall can block most of the external attacks. If you install NFuse on a Linux server (that what's we did in my company), you can get rid of all W2k security holes.

We use Citrix Metaframe. It is a wonderful solution in terms of its ability to speed up your applications across a WAN.

I totally agree with that. Sometimes you can even use a 56k modem if your application do not use too much graphics (bmp, ico..are consuming much of the bandwith)

The biggest problem seems to be adding another layer of complexity. We've gone through many gyrations of problems from stability issues to printing issues to compatibility issues. For example, for some reason, a client would loose all their connected printers. After going back and forth between Citrix, Microsoft, and Progress, it was finally determined to be a string limitation on Progress's part. But bouncing around to all the tech supports was a nightmare.

Well, printing has always been a pain in the ***, whatever you use (Java, C++, Delphi or Progress). The problem is a bit more complicated with Citrix, because the printing flux has to go from the Citrix server to your local printer. The problem is that the printing flux is taking too much bandwidth (imagine that you want to print a Word document with graphics and images :eek: ). Hopefully, you can use Uniprint, a nice printing-tool for thin client that reduce drastically your printing bandwith (watch www.uniprint.net).

We had some problems when we tried to connect some medical devices on the thin client because the COM port was not mapped automatically by Citrix. But we have cleared that with the Citrix hotline.

Technically, Citrix is FAR better than the Progress Webclient. But Citrix has a real limitation : its price ! But quality is always expensive , isnt't it ?

Cheers

dkellgren

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is called NFuse Nfuse is a layer that come over Citrix and enable to publish ANY application (including Progress) on the web.

CLAIRIFICATION: We are NOT using the NFuse product. It is simply a control for your browser - an ActiveX control for IE (and I think it's a plug-in for Netscape).

Well, printing has always been a pain in the ***, whatever you use (Java, C++, Delphi or Progress). The problem is a bit more complicated with Citrix, because the printing flux has to go from the Citrix server to your local printer. The problem is that the printing flux is taking too much bandwidth (imagine that you want to print a Word document with graphics and images ). Hopefully, you can use Uniprint, a nice printing-tool for thin client that reduce drastically your printing bandwith (watch www.uniprint.net).

I will DEFINATELY be checking out UniPrint! Thanks for the tip on that one. Are you using it? How is the pricing on it?

CLAIRIFICATION: We are NOT using the NFuse product. It is simply a control for your browser - an ActiveX control for IE (and I think it's a plug-in for Netscape).

Sorry...I didn't know it was existing ! I'll try it soon. Thanks for the tip too :)

About Uniprint, I'm not personnaly using it. But one of my colleague is testing it toroughly these days and seems to be very happy of its performances. Maybe you'll find more infos about the price on their web site.