Question Check a database is running

jmac13

Hi All,

I'm using open edge 10.2b.

To find out if a database is running we use the following method.

we run a bat file that runs proutil (see below) for a DB and puts the output to text file that we read to see if theres a zero etc in there. Is there a better way of doing this? always seems to take a while for it to relaise the db's has actually stopped

thanks

Code:
call %1\bin\proutil %2 -C busy

echo %errorlevel% > %3

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
always seems to take a while for it to relaise the db's has actually stopped

Always takes a while for what to realize? Proutil busy returns immediately. Do you have some other batch file or scheduled task that is running repeatedly or in a loop, that reads the contents of the file and escalates if the DB is offline?

jmac13

Well when I've done a dbman -stop -database and its says its shutdown I find that it takes a few seconds before it realize the db has actually gone down.. that was all.. If this is the best method then I'll just keep using it..

Yeah have some code in a loop that keeps firing the batch file for each DB then reading the txt file to see whats in it

RealHeavyDude

I don't like this particular behavior of dman much and personally I don't use it therefore. When you issue a command like dbman or others that manage OpenEdge services via the Admin Server then the command will return while in the background the startup/shutdown is still being processed. In practice that means that the command indicated something being done while it is not.

For databases I am with the "scripted" camp, happily using proserve and proshut.

IMHO the question is not whether there is a better possibility to check wheter a databaes is on- or offline - there is a better possibility to start/stop it.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.