Backward Compatibilty

Virgani Dhirgac

Dear all,

Just finished installing my 9.1c Windows (I knew it's ancient .... but), and try to connect to MXP database version 8xxx (Unix) (using Progress 8.3a ??) and got a message "** Database has the wrong version number. (db: 4179, pro: 4187)" .... now I'm trying to dump.

:) Do Progress have no backward compatibilty ? or is there something that I've to do ?

Regards,
Virgani

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Yes, it's ancient. And unsupported. Apparently you already know that so I'm thinking that you have no excuse... ;)

A version N client can connect to a version N - 1 database using -H & -S. Which you would have to use to connect from Windows to a UNIX host anyway.

4179 and 4187 are both version 8. Is version 8 still installed on your windows box? Because this message sounds more like what would happen if you tried to use 8.2 to start a session against a local, and unconverted, 8.1 db. (That would be a "self service" or "shared memory" connection and for those the version numbers must be the same...)

Virgani Dhirgac

Dear Mr. Tom,

>Yes, it's ancient. And unsupported. Apparently you already know that
> so I'm thinking that you have no excuse... ;)
I have no choice sir, my company already have Progress 8.3a Unix version and Progress 9.1C Windows version.

For one reason, I try to install Progress 9.1C and then try to connect to Progress 8.3a database via Progrese Explorer on my windows box.

Well, It's seem that I've to go alone with this problem since version 9.1C is unsupported :)

Hehehehe, anyway thanks a lot for you.

Virgani D

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You would use exploder to start, stop & manage a database. You wouldn't use it to connect to one. Nor would you use v9 exploder to manage a v8 database. That won't work.

In the original post you indicated that the v8 database was on a unix box. It needs to have been started with -S in order to accept remote connections from Windows. If that is true then you should be able to connect to it with a v9 client (prowin32.exe on windows) by specifying -H hostname and -S port in your startup parameters for that client.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Other than connecting from windows v9 to unix v8 what is it that you are trying to accomplish? In other words, what is the ultimate goal here?