Available Books?

whitegourd

Hello. I was wondering if there are any available books that can be purchase for SX administration.

Does anyone know of any downloadable documentation or "how to's" other than the drop down "Help" feature?

We've been relying on our consultant company on how to do things. I'm aware that there are training courses, but I'd like to see how far I can go with self training (that and keep costs down for the company I'm working for).

doom1701

Hello. I was wondering if there are any available books that can be purchase for SX administration.

Does anyone know of any downloadable documentation or "how to's" other than the drop down "Help" feature?

We've been relying on our consultant company on how to do things. I'm aware that there are training courses, but I'd like to see how far I can go with self training (that and keep costs down for the company I'm working for).

Much of it depends on what you want to learn. The installation documents for SX are actually quite detailed (if you can follow the way they bounce you around from section to section). But they mainly cover system installation, compiles, pushes, etc.--not actually managing the system.

I attended a 3 day Sysadmin training in Colorado Springs when we first started our implementation in 2006; I found most of the information pretty redundant, especially if you have any Progress background. It was 1 day of Linux and Unix setup and administration, one day of Progress administration, and one day of compiles, pushes, upgrading, etc. Your money would be much better spent on some actual Progress training or materials.

Once you get into actually administering the system, though (rather than administering the DBMS underneath), there seems to be no good documentation. I know there are SX users here, though, including myself--and I am always looking to share knowledge about the system.