adding new users to database

sonatadw

I am using Progress 9.1D. I Have a database and i want to add a new user to the database. I added in security options ->edit user list.i gave a user name and password. Now when i try to login to SQL explorer with this user name and password it permits me to enter. but when i try to execute a simply select statement on the databse it is giving me access denied/authorisation falied error . How do add a new to a existing data base. And after adding how do i give required permission for fim.

Hi,

If you could log in without error then the user is OK.
You should grant/revoke access rights to your user. E.g.:
grant select on pub.customer to user1;
commit;

in order to grant/revoke you must be dba.

Regards,
Gabor

stevenh

Thank you, but, I need to do this in Windows using Provision. (GUI)
I open Database Administration, open Sports2000.db,I goto Admin,Edit User List [NOTE: there are no UserID's listed]
, and add user ID=2, username= joe, pw =8089.
Then I goto Admin,Security,Security Administrators [NOTE "*" is default] I change the * to <joe> and get "You cannot change a security field to exclude yourself"
So, I guess I need to find out who I, the DBA, am!

Further: I need to do this so that I can run some VB programs using progress Data

xasp

DBA in Progress db

To be superuser of the database: create a user account SYSPROGRESS, password SYSPROGRESS (don't know if this password is required though).

Log in with this account in SQL explorer and you should be able to grant/revoke permissions.