Web enabling Progress 8 application

mjdarm

Hi All,

We have a system which is developed in Progress 8 ( i know its age old version. Sorry for that).
We need to make this system web enabled.

One of the option would be to rewrite the codes in Webspeed. This could be a costlier option.

Apart from the above option, I would like to know:
1. Is there any tool which can convert the existing character codes to web enabled codes?
2. Mfg/Pro uses Progress CHUI programs for .Net UI. How is it done? Any tool is available make it compatible. What are other pre-requisites for making this .NEt enabled
3. Migrate to latest open edge version. What's advantage?
4. Any other option / solutions.

Advantage required to sell the idea internally more than cost.

Any inputs/idea will be of much help.

Thanks in advance.

Mugundan

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
please tell us more about the project.

what do you mean by web enabled.

for example, who's going to be using it ?

mjdarm

Hi,

This is a basically a sales /Purchase/Transaction system. The system will be used by the actual end users sitting at various locations.

Mugundan

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
for internal employees or external customers/vendors etc. ?

if it's for internal empoyees why not use citrix ?

are you using mfg/pro ?

if not you will have to eventually rethink your design.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
The system will be used...

So this is new development? Not just a minor bolt on to an ancient, obsolete and unsupported application? It sort of even sounds like you may be intending to go to market with it?

Version 8 was designed and implemented in the mid 90s. The advantages of OpenEdge 10 are legion and would take hours to enumerate. There are no valid reasons to consider any release less than 10.2 for new development. I must be having a bad morning because I cannot even think of any invalid reasons (other than having a pirate copy of v8 handy) why you would consider such a thing.

OpenEdge 10 is:
  • Cheaper
  • Faster
  • More Productive
  • More Manageable
  • Has endless major (and minor) enhancements over v8
  • Fixes a long list of bugs
  • etc, etc, etc...

mjdarm

Hi Tom and Joey,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I would also prefer to go with 10.2 version.

Company is also looking option of providing access to customer/supplier to enter some data over web.

What should be the approach? Should we re-write everything in Webspeed environment or any tool available?
I have to submit some alternates with Pros and cons for each option. It would be helpful, if i get some more light on the same.

Mugundan

joey.jeremiah

ProgressTalk Moderator
Staff member
for anything more specific. whether it's the ui, architecture, possible frameworks etc.

not to mention realistic estimates of time and costs.

you'll have to have a more serious talk with someone that has experience in this field.

i would be happy to talk to you but i'm definitely not the only one.

cheers