Various questions

raviraju

ai files

how we can find the sequence no of ai files and how to perform roll-forward recovery by sequence.

as far as i know that we can roll forward in orders the ai files fills but how we know that?

raviraju

Another "I can't read documentation" thread

1.suppose we have test db and production db. than we will take
4 incremental backup simultaneously in production database and restore it in test db
is there is any effects of on table i mean change in table .. i mean to say that is there is difference between
tables ...

RealHeavyDude

Re: multivolume database and single volume db

Since Progress V9 ( which is already ancient, obsolete and unsupported - to say it with Tom's words ) there are only multi-volume databases. Why would you ask?

But to explain: A multi-volume database is one where the data is split across more than 1 file which are called extents which in turn are grouped into storage areas.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

RealHeavyDude

Re: ai files

You would know if you would log it - or, if you have the time you can try and error ( trying to roll forward the wrong ai does not do any harm to the database ).

RealHeavyDude

Re: ai files

You do know that there can be more than one hard disk in a computer and that something like RAID exists, don't you?

raviraju

Eviction

what is exactly mean eviction. i read - it occurs when buffer is saved to disk .. please explain?with examples.

raviraju

Re: After image

look ai files are optional coz we can use it in bi crash situation. And ai file must be put in seperate disk? it contains only commited transction. we can write some script which can run automatically.. in production db.
l

RealHeavyDude

BI and AI is not the same thing, they are for completely different purposes:
The before image ensures the consistency of the database in that it undoes all transaction that were open at the time a crash occurred.
The after images fills the gap between two backups.

Running a database without after image - although it is optional - is a recipe for disaster.

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member

Many thanks to RHD for his patience. I no longer have patience. Please read the documentation before posting these questions. And search the forums too. It gets a little waring to have the same questions over and over again from lazy people. Please come back when you have done your research if you have further questions.