"Unable to find web object file" even though files in propath

daveprice74

Hello, newbie question: I'm using Webtools from home over VPN, connecting via a link, and getting

"Unable to find web object file"

for anything I try to run, even though the files are clearly in the propath. I think it worked the other day when I was physically at the location and using local wireless.

Most likely this is something really obvious that I'm just missing because I hardly ever use Webspeed.

Do I need to change a setting somewhere? I see there is a session parameter called "remote" that is marked no...

If so, is that done in the parameter file? I didn't see anywhere it would let me change that on the screen.

EDIT: I don't know if this is normal Webspeed behavior, but it also doesn't seem to Check Syntax correctly, if there's an error it makes a box called "saving" and fills a bar in it partway then just sort of hangs there. It actually does let me create .r code if there's no errors, but it's a pretty annoying way to develop, especially when I can't run anything from the editor.

EDIT: It does this even when the propath tool says it *can* find the file. It's almost like it's using a different propath or server when it tries to run vs. when it does anything else.

Stefan

You say files are clearly in the propath. What does that mean?

Be aware that your WebSpeed agent is normally running with the privileges of local system account and has no network access rights whatsoever.

daveprice74

You say files are clearly in the propath. What does that mean?

Be aware that your WebSpeed agent is normally running with the privileges of local system account and has no network access rights whatsoever.

I mean it really is in the propath -- the propath tool itself finds the file!

It actually compiles just fine from the File Tools menu. I'm not sure why the Editor has issues, but since I can compile with File Tools I think I'm okay.

The Editor just seems to be generally screwy. The Save button doesn't work either, I have to use Save As or it gives me a message saying ? and then doesn't save the file. Bleah.

LarryD

Not sure if this is your saving issue and I have to admit I'm not familiar with the webspeed editor, but if it works like the other Progress editors "Save" will save relative to your current working directory and doesn't use propath for saving. This is perhaps why you are being forced to 'save as'.

e.g. on Linux

Propath = "/usr/pcode"
and there are subdirectories where the source is located.

Working directory is your home directory = /home/username

When you pull in the file, you can just specify the relative path in propath e.g. ws/myprog.p or whatever

However, when you 'save' it it will try and save it relative to the working directory (/home/username/ws) and will error out unless you have ws as a subdirectory from your working directory.

Here are two ways to make it behave properly (and there may be others I'm not aware of/thinking of at the moment:

1) Fully qualify the path to the file when you pull it in to the editor. In my simplified example above, you would enter /usr/pcode/ws/myprog.p when loading it into the editor and it will save properly
2) Make your working directory /usr/pcode, then you can use the ws/myprog.p

On Windows, I believe it works the same.

The other experts here can (and always do) correct me, and it's also possible I'm totally misunderstanding the save issue and/or how the webspeed editor works... ;-)