Transaction Controll.

Hi All,

Please let me know how can i record transactions happening per second in an Application from DB end.

Progress 9.1 E .

Waiting 4 replies.

RealHeavyDude

I am not familiar how you can get that information. The closest one I know is the performance indicators which you can find in PROMON. Goto the R&D menu (which AFAIK is a hidden option on the main menu in Progress V9) - just key in R&D. From there go to option 3 (other displays) and then option 1 performance indicators.

Plus, I don't know if you would know how many transactions per second your database is handling provides any information of value. As one transaction is not equal to another how would you measure them against each other? The scope of a transaction and thus how large it is and how long it is running is totally determined by the application code. The much more interesting information IMHO would be whether you have long running transaction and what code (business case) is causing (rectifying) such long running transactions.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Knowing your TRX rate can be indirectly useful. Especially on larger systems where writes to the bi file might start to be a bottleneck.

Quite a few VSTs provide information on the number of commits. VSTs only provide a grand total since the db has started -- it is up to you to compare snapshots and calculate per second statistics. You might want to download ProTop for some examples on how to do that.

In any event the following code will tell you how many TRX/sec you have been doing since your db started:
Code:
find first _actOther no-lock.
display _other-Trans / _other-UpTime.