Syteline Maintenance

psujeeperman02

Hi, I came into my current position about 2 years ago when the original Syteline administrator left the company. Since then, and due to my very little knowledge of the Syteline app and its DB, we have not done any db maintenance to Syteline.

I hear about doing a reindexing of the DB, and possibly a dump and load. I am a weary on doing the dump and load as i have no experience with this and i hear it can cause lots of problems.

So, onto the indexing of the db. what does this include? how long will it usually take to run? have any of you run into problems by simply doing a reindex of the database? What should i look out for?
Our database is just pushing 4.5 Gbs and has been over two years since the last index has been run.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

eddybair

Hi there,

Dump & load of a 4gb database is not something to shy away from. It might help tidy up your table data.

Have users complained at all about slow response times, or slow running reports? If not then index
rebuild may not be necessary.

I have looked after a 4-5gb database for 8 years for one client and it just keeps on going. No re-indexing
and just one dump & load during a Progress version upgrade.

Regards, Eddybair

psujeeperman02

thank you for your reply.
Yes, i have heard alot about the reindex of the database, but have not really looked into it too much. Users do complain about system performance and the amount of time it takes to lookup information. So, have you ever ran into issues while reindexing the database? With a 4-5GB database, how long do you suspect that the indexing will take to complete?

eddybair

I've never had a problem with re-indexing. Try reading up on the 'proutil' utility plus 'idxbuild' in particular. What system are you running on?
If there was a previous administrator then look around
for any batch scripts that may already exist.

Speed of re-index will primarily be dependent upon the system & processor you have available but my allowance would be a few hours.

psujeeperman02

I've never had a problem with re-indexing. Try reading up on the 'proutil' utility plus 'idxbuild' in particular. What system are you running on?
If there was a previous administrator then look around
for any batch scripts that may already exist.

Speed of re-index will primarily be dependent upon the system & processor you have available but my allowance would be a few hours.

System? Well, if you mean OS, it is running on WIN NT on a 1.2 GHz processor and a GB and a half of RAM.

So, if i start the indexing on a friday night after all users leave, it should be ready to go by sunday morning and in time for users on Monday work day?

YZARATE

Hi psejeeperman02

i'm administrator of progress 9 i have a DB of 2 GB the time to make dum and load is more a less 6 hours to make reindex is easy dont take mora a 1 hour but this is a procedure very hard.

i have a HP server with 2 processors PIII 1.4 ghz and 1 GB of ram windows 2000 server.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
It's not hard but IMHO index rebuilds are rarely worth bothering with.

A dump & load, OTOH, can have a very positive impact on performance. Especially if you use it as an opportunity to take advantage of new db features like storage areas and individually set rows-per-block settings: Storage Areas