System Error 5

baelliott

We just upgraded our Progress installation from 9.1D to 9.1D09 (service pack 9?) and I've got a web report that uses the "Merant 3.60 32-bit Progress SQL92 v9.1D" ODBC driver.

The report worked fine before the upgrade however now the report errors out with a error that says "specified driver could not be loaded due to system error 5 (Merant 3.60 32-bit Progress SQL92 v9.1D)."

The connection string I'm trying to use is "Driver={MERANT 3.60 32-BIT Progress SQL92 v9.1D};HOST=server;DB=database; UID=sysprogress; PWD=123; port=7100." (this exact connection string worked fine before the upgrade).

This is running on IIS6 on a Win2K3 server. I did remove the older progress client sw & odbc driver before installing the updated version. I can create a DSN in windows (on the web server) with these exact settings and it connects okay.

What am I missing?

Thanks,
Brad

Hi Brad,

According to the Progress Knowledge Base:
Cause(s):
The description for this particular error is 5L ERROR_ACCESS_DENIED Access is denied. The Internet Guest Account or the built-in account for anonymous access to Internet Information Services (IUSR_<computer-name>) does not have sufficient permissions on the Progress installation directory.

Fix:
Grant NT Read&Execute permissions for IIS anonymous user account for the entire Progress installation directory.
HTH

Fixed

That was the problem... I removed the shared network install and re-installed locally, then gave the everyone group R&W permissions. Works like a charm now.

Thanks for your help!

Brad

Back