Some ksh DBA script questions

ron

ENVIRONMENT: Solaris 8 on a Sun V480 + Progress 9.1D06

While a full backup to tape is happening, I exectuted these commands:

rhunt >proutil /Custima/Database/BDB/bdb -C busy
** The database /Custima/Database/BDB/bdb is in use in single-user mode. (263)
rhunt >echo $?

QUESTION: The Progress manual does say 6 is returned if the DB is busy --- but I was under the (apparently incorrect) impression that 1 was returned if the DB is in use in single-user mode. Was a change made at some point?

rhunt >fred=$(proutil /Custima/Database/BDB/bdb -C busy)
rhunt >echo $fred
aaa ai_apply.ksh ai_backup.ksh ai_bdb_seq ai_bu_name ai_control ai_hdb_seq ai_jdb_seq ai_kdb_seq ai_maxima ai_mdb_seq ai_mon.2.ksh ai_mon.4.ksh ai_mon.ksh ai_mon.log ai_mon.old.ksh ai_mon.PM ai_mon.PM.accum ai_mon.r.ksh ai_prod_name ai_qdb_seq ai_send.ksh ai_send.log ai_send.PM ai_send.PM.accum ai_swap.ksh ai_swap.log ai_swap.PM ai_swap.PM.accum ai_swap_wait ai_tar.ksh ai_tar.lk ai_tar.log ai_tar.PM ai_tar.PM.accum ai_Tdb_seq ai_tidy.ksh ai_untar.ksh ai_vdb_seq ai_xdb_seq The database /Custima/Database/BDB/bdb is in use in single-user mode. (263)

QUESTION: What's going on here?

The value of the variable fred is every file in the current directory ... followed by the message from proutil. I'm stumped. I can't see what has caused the file names to appear.

Is it a Solaris bug, a ksh bug, a Progress bug, or my misunderstanding?

Can anyone shed light on these two questions?

No answers - Just a comment

I submitted a request to the Enhancement request a couple of years ago that never got followed up to enhance the proutil busy options to include a set of more meaningful messages for databases which might include such novel items as

Back-up - Offline
Multi-User
Single User
Maintenance (Index rebuild/Restore/offline dbanalys)
Crashed (.lk file but not active)
etc

I had a few issues at my last site with processes trying to start on databases that were "down" and causing issues.