S- parameter

Hi,

Could anybody telme ....

What is -S parameter ?
why it has to be increased and when it has to be ?
is there any calculation to be done to increase it ?

After increaisng it found the Below errror :

REPLACE/CONCAT may not result in data > 32000 bytes

what might went wrong please help me !

Thanks

Ramya

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
You might try checking the documentation Each parameter has a detailed explanation.

It is also helpful to include the complete error message, including the error number, the Progress version and the OS platform when you are looking for help.

The error number is especially helpful -- that helps us look smart because we can then go to the Progress Knowledge Center and look it up for you.

-S is the service name. It's used to connect remote clients to databases servers.

That probably isn't what you're looking for. I suspect that you're having trouble with -s (lower case "s") which is the stack size. Usually this needs to be increased because you're using lots of variables, creating really large variables or doing a lot of recursion in your code.

The message says that you tried to create a variable greater than 32000 bytes long. That's your problem. You can't do that. Nor should you want to. Usually it's a logic bug -- some code is probably appending to a variable or building a string and it isn't checking the length or it is stuck in a loop.

girish66

As pointed out the -S is the service parameter when you start the DB you are telling it the service name to start under (it could be a port or a port with a userfriendly alias)

Thanks for quick replies.

girish as tom said my doubt is regarding -s parameter caused by stack overflow.rectified the logic.

thnk you so much once again.

rgrds
ramya