Renamed existing table - later removed table but extent is full from previous data

PMiddleton

Progress 9.1E / Windows Server 2k3

I did a dump and load a few weeks ago on my database and discovered a problem loading data for my mail table which I believe is related to non-ASCII characters present in the data. Because it is quoted and some of the text contained double quotes along with all sorts of non ASCII characters - it failed to load all of the data. Seperate issue - I am not really looking to resolve this issue - I believe if I do a binary load on the mail table - it will work (when I have extent space - see below).

I decided to renamed the mail table which moved it to another extent in my configuration (but it seems to have retained its previous disk space in the Mail-Table extent. The mail table is very large (roughly a million records). After I moved the table, I created a new table with the same properties (loaded mail.df). This put an empty mail table in my database. I then did a binary dump on the mail table from my backup db and attempted to load it. I then hit the 2gb maximum for that extent, the load failed and it shut down my database. After it failed, I went to a backup of the db that I had but the disk space for the extents show at the max. I know this can't be true as I can add mail messages to the db but if you look at the size of the extent, I should not be able to.

My question is, how do I recover extent disk space - I know records do not exist in there as I have deleted the table. The two extents that I am having trouble with are the Plexus-Data and the Mail-Table extent listed below - I had to specify the max in my .st file as I kept hitting it when I would try to load my binary.

I was unsure if a idxrebuild would recover it so I have just left it alone - I ran out of time on the server and had to get the production version back up and running. Perhaps that would work? I also see the idxcompact index option? Just sort of pulling bits and pieces out trying to figure out how to recover that space.

I have my extents setup like this:

#
b D:\Plexus\Plexusv9\Wall\db\wall.b1
#
d "Schema Area":6,64 D:\Wall\db\wall.d1
#
d "Plexus-Data":51,64 D:\Wall\db\wall_51.d1 f 2096384
#
d "Plexus-Indexes":52,256 D:\Wall\db\wall_52.d1
#
d "Mail-Table":61,64 D:\Wall\db\wall_61.d1 f 2096384
#
d "Mail-Indexes":62,256 D:\Wall\db\wall_62.d1
#
d "Envelope-Table":71,64 D:\Wall\db\wall_71.d1
#
d "Envelope-Indexes":72,256 D:\Wall\db\wall_72.d1
#
d "Mailheader-Table":81,64 D:\Wall\db\wall_81.d1
#
d "Mailheader-Indexes":82,256 D:\Wall\db\wall_82.d1

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks for your time,
Patrick Middleton

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Re: Renamed existing table - later removed table but extent is full from previous dat

I'm no DBA expert at all, but why don't you just add a variable extent after the fixed extents?

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
Re: Renamed existing table - later removed table but extent is full from previous dat

proutil dbName -C truncate area areaName

You only want to do this if the area has no useful data in it... so if both your old and new mail table are in that area don't do it.