Relocate Web Server

rupertandolly

Hi,

We currently have webspeed running with the web server running on a very old linux box and progress and the src running on a windows machine. We are going to move the web server to a new windows server we have bought and we are confused as to how to configure webspeed. I have found the webspeed startup script on the linux box which runs the cgiip file ($DLC/bin/cgiip <server> <port>). Do I need a windows version of this startup script placed in my root directory of the new web server to get this to work?

Thankyou for any help.

rupertandolly

Thanks Maxim. Do you know if there is a windows version of the file with Webspeed and do I just need to put that in the root directory of the new web server?

RealHeavyDude

You just need to put the cgiip.exe in the scripts directory of your web server or create a virtual directory pointing to it's location.

If you are using the IIS there is an alternative to the cgiip.exe, it's the wsisa.dll. Out of experience the cgiip.exe is more stable, when it crashes only that thread crashes. The wsisa.dll gets loaded by the IIS an therefore performs better but when it crashes it may bring down your IIS too ...

HTH, RealHeavyDude.

rupertandolly

Thanks for that. I am still a little lost. Just to confirm current/new set up. Current: Web server - Linux Box, Code - Remote Windows Box. New:Web Server - Windows Box, Code - Remote Windows Box. To connect to the WS app with current setup we use the following URL: domainname/wscon/wslogin.p (wscon is the WS startup script on the unix box that sets DLC,PRMOSGS,WKDIR then runs $DLC/bin/cgiip with server and port parameters. On the new web server I have copied cgiip.exe to the scripts directory. My question is, what URL do I now use? I don't get how to redirect to to the remote windows box where the wslogin.p program lives without having a script (?) like wscon that is on the linux box.Thanks again for any help.

RealHeavyDude

The name server is responsible for the routing. Whenever you start a WebSpeed broker you tell it which name server it should register too. The name server may reside on the same host as the WebSpeed broker is located, but it may also reside on a different host. The cgiip.exe must know where the name server is located. Usually I had a name server running on the same machine where the WebServer resided. When I had to do something with WebSpeed the last time ( about 5 years ago ), the name server was considered a deployment product by Progress which could be downloaded without any additional charge from their download center. Whether you decide that you will have more than one name server for more fault tolerance in your game ( name server replication ) is up to you. But the simplest setup is to have the name server on the web server machine and register your WebSpeed broker, wherever it lives, to the aforementioned name server.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.

rupertandolly

Unfortunately I can't change our setup. It is currently working all I want to do is move the web server to a different machine. The name server and broker live on the same machine as the source whilst the web server will now reside on a different machine. That is the same as it currently does, only difference is it currently sits on a linux box not windows. I thought the name server and broker would work just like now, and I would just need a windows version of the wscon script mentioned above on the new machine. Isn't it that script on the linux box that is connecting to the remote machine ($DLC/bin/cgiip with server and port parameters)? Will something similiar to ($DLC/bin/cgiip with server and port parameters) work if it is on the new web server?