QAD installation on Virtual Linux

mjdarm

Hi ,

One of my client would like to install QAD/Progress on a virtual linux environment on a 64 bit processor.
Can anybody share the details on how to go about and what all to be taken care?
How will be the processing speed?

Regards
Mugundan

RealHeavyDude

Your question is so generic and you give almost no information that I doubt anybody can seriously give an answer. Personally I don't know nothing about QAD ...

You could start giving information about what version of Progress/OpenEdge the thing is running on and which flavor of Linux it is you have mind.

Better yet, you could look into the product availability guide which is published on Progress' site. This contains everything Progress will support - everything else, they won't ... and I wouldn't run anything they don't support in a production environment although at a glance it may seem to work.

http://web.progress.com/de-ch/customer-service/product-life-cycle.html

Regards, RealHeavyDude.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
In addition to what RHD said you should expect that there will be a performance penalty for running in a virtualized environment. That penalty may, or may not, be a problem for you. It is a trade-off vs the benefits of virtualization. If the benefits are sufficient to justify the performance hit (or the performance hit is small enough to not matter) then it is worth it. Otherwise you shouldn't virtualize.

One of the big drivers of virtualization is to share common resources. As it does in so many other cases this often leads the unwary to implement RAID5 disks. Sometimes without knowing that it is happening. If your environment is at all performance sensitive you do not want to do this. Progress (and by extension QAD's) configuration requirements are not different in a virtualized environment. The basic CPU, RAM, disk and network capacity needs don't magically become any less.