Progress VS THE REST

klodoma

These things are simply nice things, but they do not make a language bad or superiour. I have a lot of experience with Progress, .NET, C++ and some other programming languages. These things are not the ones that will decide for me what language to use. It depends on the job I have to do. For business applications I would choose Progress over all others. To develop User Interface I would develop in .NET or Java. It all depends on your needs, and not if you can code i++ or if you have to write i = i
+ 1.

Well in my opinion these things DO make a language more superior.
When you cannot work with dynamic arrays and multipe dimentional arrays, when in other languages you have a "bunch" of functions for working with strings, arrays, objects, xml's etc...
Anyway I just worked with Progress for the last 7 months and I just quit my job because of this. It was a jump "back in time".

The second thing is the support. Forums like these are a needed resource for a Programmer. Just look around how many members are in a C#, Java, PHP forums and how you receive the answers there. Millions of users.... and that also makes a difference.

But still, I will respect any programming language and the programmers that work with them, no matter what my opinion is. I just wanted to highlight some things. Personally I was really frustrated about how static and limited Progress is, so for me soon it will be History.

Anyway, wish you all the best in the Future!

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
I understand what you are saying, but somehwo I still feel the urge to react on some of the stuff you mentioned.

Well in my opinion these things DO make a language more superior.
When you cannot work with dynamic arrays and multipe dimentional arrays,

I hear this mulitple dimensional array stuff from more people who are not skilled in Progress, but somehow they never seem to be able to find a real live case in which you need this.
I for myself never had a real need to use this.
when in other languages you have a "bunch" of functions for working with strings, arrays, objects, xml's etc...

You can work with objects the OOABL was introduced a few years ago.
XML handling isn't a problem either. I wonder what version you where working with.

Anyway I just worked with Progress for the last 7 months and I just quit my job because of this. It was a jump "back in time".

Well, I hope you find a better job somewhere else, with a language that is more suitbakle to your needs.

The second thing is the support. Forums like these are a needed resource for a Programmer. Just look around how many members are in a C#, Java, PHP forums and how you receive the answers there. Millions of users.... and that also makes a difference.

Sure progress isn;t that big, but then again it isn;t that small. There isn't a question you can think of that isn;t going to be answered here or @peg.com.

But still, I will respect any programming language and the programmers that work with them, no matter what my opinion is. I just wanted to highlight some things. Personally I was really frustrated about how static and limited Progress is, so for me soon it will be History.

Anyway, wish you all the best in the Future!

Because Progress is an interpreter language it /is/ very dynamic. Try some dynamic Programming in C# and you reach the limit real fast....

Run value(stringvalue) isn't very straightforward in C#.

But anyway,

I wish you all the best too. Thanks for elaborating on this.

Regards,

Casper.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
10.2 doesn't change the complained about features of ABL, it just allows one to use .NET controls to build the UI while writing all the code in ABL. I think it is pretty impressive, but it doesn't change the ABL drastically.