Progress ODBC test hangs

oshkalabah

Hello,

We have some Progress ODBC connections on a server (Windows 2000 - ugh!). The company was purchased and now the Progress server is a member of a different Windows domain. It seems that now our Progress ODBC DSNs won't work. When I open one of them and try to test it just hangs.

They are using the Merant 3.70 32-bit Progress ODBC driver. Any assistance you can provide is appreciated!

Osh

medu

you've might have got some firewall in between as a bonus, if that's true see if you can get them to open the ports: the database broker as well as min/max listening port range.

medu

No firewall, I already verified that. What ports does Progress listen on that I could try to telnet to?

that depends on what the dba has set for the database broker, each database has it's own server that listen on different port unlike mysql or mssql where there is an 'instance' port for multiple databases

can you reach the new server by plain ping?

oshkalabah

Yes I can. Interestingly enough when I try to test the same ODBC connection on the Progress server (instead of the app server) it too hangs.

oshkalabah

Update - if I give the test long enough to time out I get the following error:

[MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS]BROKER: Could not spawn a server. (1890).

Help! (and thank you!)

oshkalabah

Another - when I click OK to the above error I get:

[MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS]Error establishing Open Interface Driver connection. (2575)

oshkalabah

And another! When I click OK to that error I get:

[MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS driver]Invalid attribute in connection string: Description.

(The description in the DSN is blank, appears to always has been)

medu

Update - if I give the test long enough to time out I get the following error:

[MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS]BROKER: Could not spawn a server. (1890).

Help! (and thank you!)

ok then, check the database server log and see why is that... see if there is a limit on number of servers and/or clients per server, the database log filse should give you the answers.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
[MERANT][ODBC PROGRESS driver][PROGRESS]Error establishing Open Interface Driver connection. (2575)

What driver are you using. Is it by chance a merant 3.60 SQL89 driver?

Regards,
Casper.