Progress ODBC driver and Windows Server 2003 x64

solar_eclipse2

Hi, I hope someone can help me. Here is my situation;

I work for one of two companies owned by the same group and both of us use a Progress database. The other company all uses w2k servers. We use a mix of w2k and w2k3. We're doing a sort of consolidation with the databases and some other testing.

Someone over there wrote a program that uses the 32 bit progress driver to access the database and return some information. That program works fine on windows 2000 over there. Over here this program has to be installed on our w2k3 x64 server. I've got the program installed and the 32 bit progress driver installed. Through ODBC admin I can configure the driver and test the connection to the database. It works. However in the error log for this program I get the following

Failure to open ODBC Connection :: ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

Can anyone offer any help?

solar_eclipse2

You can not use an 32-bit ODBC driver from an 64-bit application.

Which is why I'm using a 32-bit driver for a 32-bit application.

solar_eclipse2 said:
I've got the program installed and the 32 bit progress driver installed.

This application just happens to be installed on a 64-bit server in my environment instead of the 32-bit environment our other company runs it in. According to everything I've read there should be no problem using a 32-bit ODBC driver on this server.

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Is the driver setup as system DSN or user DSN?
The error has IMO nothing to do with Progress, but it's just miscrosoft saying it can't find the DSN used in the application. Maybe you named it different?

What version of progress?

Casper.

solar_eclipse2

It's set up as a system DSN. I followed the same instructions I used every other time I've had to set up this ODBC connection. We're using Progress 9.1c.

The ODBC driver itself makes the connection when I hit "test" from ODBC administrator.

The error I posted is coming from the error log from the program the guy wrote. I was hoping someone could shed some light on that?

paulb@ccs.nl

Did you use the 32 bit admin tool ODBCAD32.EXE to create the DSN?

Shortcut ODBC Datasource in the Administrative Tools menu is the administration program for 64-bits DSN's.

Mention the difference between 64-bit (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ODBC\ODBC.INI) and 32-bit ODBC drivers (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ODBC\ODBC.INI)

solar_eclipse2

Yes Paul I did. I thought that's the message I had conveyed by the following statement;

Through ODBC admin I can configure the driver and test the connection to the database. It works.

So Paul, if I was not being clear I apologize.

So this is what I have so far.

A 32-bit program written in house, works on 32 bit windows (windows 2000) with 32-bit Progress ODBC Driver. It's been decided that we should use the program in our offices as well as at the other company. We will be running the program on windows 2003 x64. I have the program installed. I have the 32-bit ODBC driver installed. I have configured the driver in the 32-bit ODBC admin as a system DSN the same way I've configured it every time I've had to install the driver on a Windows 2000 or Windows XP machine. I can hit the test button in the 32-bit ODBC administrator and the test works. It makes a connection to the database.

However, when the program runs it logs the following error;

Failure to open ODBC Connection :: ERROR [IM002] [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified

What I'm hoping for is for someone to help me understand the error and what might be causing it. Right now, what it seems to say to me is that for whatever reason, the program is looking at the wrong location to find the driver.

Thank you all again for your time and you help.