Progress Explorer Tool Question

Tom2010

Hi,

I am new to Progress and am trying to create a new server for the Demo database in 10.2B. I have several questions.

(1) When I type a Path and filename of a database into the Database Properties window, the comment at the bottom always says "database not found", would this change dynamically if the path was correct? I only ask as whatever path I use this message never changes. The database is on a mapped drive would this make any difference?

(2) I was getting the "Item not networked..." message so I specified a free port in the server group properties (should this port be in the dynamic port range or outwith it?), but now when it runs it gives the message:

Error in startup of database localhost:20931: Demo. Message:
10:32:02 Broker *** This process terminated with exit code 1. (8619) (JUNMsg024)

What might cause this message to appear?

(3) Whats the point of having a dynamic port range under the Advanced menu if you have to specify a port for the server to start?

Thanks for your help.

Tom

RealHeavyDude

Hello Tom

1) I think is a bug or a feature :awink:

2) When you don't specify a TCP port or service name in the server group then the server group is started by the Admin Server but it immediately looses contact with and can't access it anymore because the server group is not networked - that's the error you got. When this happens there is no way to stop the database server with the Admin Server you must shut down it manually from the command line with the proshut command. That's where the error comes from. Although it's not networked the server group ( which is essentially a login broker ) is already running.

3) The dynamic port range is relevant when you need the open specific ports on a firewall, or you need to sort out a conflict in ports, for example. It specifies the range the remote severs ( which are started by the broker and which serve the remote clients ) register itself in the network.

Does that make sense to you?

Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Ordinary you cannot start db server on mapped disk.
Inside dbname.db path to all db extents was written (just open binary file with any viewer)
DB should be placed according this path

Tom2010

Thanks for your replies.

MaximMonin: The path inside the demo.db file was .\demo.db. When I tried just typing Demo or demo as the database filename, and pressed the start button it said it could not find the database. As this does not happen when I specify the full path I assume this means that it does find the database file.

RealHeavyDude: how do I know if the broker started and the Admin server has just lost track of it, or if it genuinely has not started? Once I specified the Service name/Port numberi n the defaultServerGroup properties, surely the Admin server should be able to keep track of it?

RealHeavyDude

The answers to most question concerning the database can be found in the database log file. There you will find the information whether the database is running or why the server could not start. It's a file with the extension .lg in named like the database in the directory where the database resides. Alternatively you could use the proutil <db-name> -C busy command which will tell whether the database is running. Additionally, when the database is in use, be it in single or multi-user mode, a file with the extension .lk exists in the same directory.

Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Tom2010

There is no .lg file in the same directory as the demo.db file. I tried a search which came up with nothing.

I tried your command line command specifying twice, once with the absolute paths and the second with relative paths. Both came up with the message:

"The system cannot find the file specified.
The system cannot find the path specified."

FYI my DLC path is set to

DLC=e:\ProjectBox\Progress\OpenEdge\bin

would this make any difference?

RealHeavyDude

You must include the DLC\bin path in your PATH too. As an alternative you could use the proenv. It's an icon in the Windows menu. It will open a command shell ( DOS box ) in which you can cd to your database directory and then run commands which reside in %DLC%\bin against the database.

BTW, the DLC environment variable should not contain the "bin" directory because there are same files in the root directory of your installation which might not be found if that's the case.

Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Tom2010

So the DLC path was the reason for the last message. Now all I get when I do the proutil command is:

"OpenEdge Release 10.2B as of Mon Dec 14 17:02:01 EST 2009"

Still no lg files being created anywhere.

RealHeavyDude

As soon as a database is touched by any Progress process the log file is created if it is not existing by now and messages are written to it. There is no way to have the log file in a different directory than where the database ( .db ) resides.

That means, for some reason the log file is missing and your database has not been accessed by any Progress process - therefore no server has been started since the log file vanished into thin air.

As a consequence, the error message concerning the database path was correct and you did not enter the correct path in the database properties. You must supply the full path to the database including the physical file name without the extension .db. The database must reside on a disk accessible to the machine where the Admin Server is running. Plus, it's not a good idea to have the database reside on a mapped network share. The Progress Explorer itself is just a window to the Admin Server.

Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Tom2010

Aha! Moved the database files to the C drive and it worked.

Thank you for all your help and swift replies - very much appreciated!