Progress Db -- Odbc -- Sql Client

Hello all, hope you all are doing well!!!

This post is regarding Progress database access through SQL client. As per my knowledge, when we want to give access of a Progress database table to SQL user then we create one user (in _user) with sysprogress userid and grant access.

I have been reading multiple posts regarding this and am very confused with below mentioned quires of mine:-

1. When there is no user created in _USER table then there is one default “OS” user id (how to check this) with _user table. What is this default user id and password or what default user id and password do we need to use while accessing progress database trough SQL client.

2. Can we access all database tables via this userid? If yes, then what all permission we have for those DB tables? If it has all of the permissions (Read & Write) then what is the need of creating userid’s.

3. If we have multiple databases on a server then this “OS” userid will be same for all databases or it will be different?

4. If this “OS” user id has permission (read/write) of accessing all tables and we add few new tables into the database then this userid still has the same permission for newly added DB tables, If No then do we have to create new userid for newly added tables? (Because when we create new userid in _user table then default OS userid won’t be there for accessing previous tables)…

Kindly suggest.

Regards,
Learner…

cj_brandt

1. The default OS user id you are referring to is the account that was used to create the database. if the database log has never been trimmed, you could look in the db log to see what user created the db.
you can simulate by creating a copy of the sports db, serve it with a port and then connect with sqlexp. The default OS account doesn't appear in _User.

2. Yes - that default account has DBA access. You may have a situation where user id's are not needed, but most situations require users to have separate accounts.

3. It is the user account that created the db. If only 1 user has created all the db's then it would be the same.

4. The default account has DBA level access.

I hope you aren't considering this for a database that is used by multiple people in or has important data.