[Progress Communities] [Progress OpenEdge ABL] Forum Post: RE: SEH: the throw keyword

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

agent_008_nl

>>> I think purely functional languages are fun...for a few minutes. Then I realize the language bends my mind so I can't figure out how to get anything done. Makes >>>me wonder if the limited sets of libraries for some of these is directly caused by the lack of usability. I can't say that the choice of exception handling in java and C# >>>has improved the world, but it is an easily understandable language concept and works for more than the 5 of the top 6 most popular languages on earth. Maybe the only pure functional language is haskell. I have not learned it, so I cannot say much about it. Rust has functional features doc.rust-lang.org/.../ch13-00-functional-features.html , like golang. C# and java incorporated many functional concepts too. One of the problems that I have with OO is that it makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot, with inheritance, with something like throwing apperrors etc. Well designed languages protect you from shooting in your foot. You will have to struggle with the problem of backward compatiblity when developing/maintaining a language. While developing in a language like progress it is extra important to have a ruleset. Eschew inheritance, eschew throwing errors en much more. There is a lot to learn from programming in other languages, for progress developers the most from languages that are more unfamiliar than C# / java. Learn f.e. rust. No implementation inheritance, good errorhandling principles and many new (functional) concepts that will astonish you. As a language with an excellent performance www.apriorit.com/.../520-rust-vs-c-comparison it might be an addition for your progress skills?

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.