[progress Communities] [progress Openedge Abl] Forum Post: Re: Pro2: Data In The Ms Sql...

• Thread starter Valeriy Bashkatov
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Valeriy Bashkatov

[quote user="Keith Sudbury"] Well you have two issues... one is that you are using the CHAR data type (fixed length) instead of VARCHAR(variable length). The other is that I am pretty sure that sp_spaceused is reporting the block usage and not the contents of the rows. [/quote] I found another script to determine the size of the row: declare @table nvarchar(128) declare @idcol nvarchar(128) declare @sql nvarchar(max) --initialize those two values set @table = 'test4' set @idcol = '*' set @sql = 'select ' + @idcol +' , (0' select @sql = @sql + ' + isnull(datalength(' + name + '), 1)' from sys.columns where object_id = object_id(@table) set @sql = @sql + ') as rowsize from ' + @table + ' order by rowsize desc' PRINT @sql exec (@sql) and it's closer to the truth [quote user="Keith Sudbury"] Loading up terabytes of data into both SQL Server and Oracle I have never seen the supposed extra space usage required. This is of course using the proper data types and without any of the shadow columns that dataserver requires. [/quote] You've worked with Pro2? Since I use Pro2SQL, his documentation said: Please note, if this box is to contain the SQL database, the size of the SQL database will be approximately two times the size of the Progress database. So I'm trying to understand why the size may be twice as much, plus understand why I have sql db size even more )

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.