[progress Communities] [progress Openedge Abl] Forum Post: Openedge Server Type Sql Best...

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

renaud.claeys

Dear all, We have several OpenEdge databases within our company and we want to access all these databases with ODBC connections. It means that we also need to have a SQL server, in addition to the existing ABL server. I have several open questions that I wanted to share with you: 1) Is it a good idea to have ABL and SQL requests accessing the same database or is it better to create a database copy that we use with a server SQL only ? But this means that we duplicate the data on a regular basis. 2) If the requests (SQL & ABL) access the same database, is it a good practice to have a secondary broker for SQL requests ? 3) Because we prioritize ABL (application) requests, is it possible to stop the secondary broker (SQL type) without stopping the primary broker (ABL type) ? For example, if a SQL user is launching a huge SQL query and it has an impact on our operationnal database. 4) If we open the database in both mode (SQL & ABL), I suppose it is a good practice (if possible) to create a new SQL user (different than ABL) that has READ-ONLY privileges on the database. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me. Best Regards, Renaud

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.