Progress and Managing Font + Fint Size

anurag2326

Dear All,

My query is more related to printing using Progress (no thrid party software is used), and I wanted to print on printer (laser printer).
Now, here I wanted to understand, how to control the size of font using progress programming so that we can print required format ??

Thanks & Regards,

Anurag.

RealHeavyDude

There is no built-in functionality in the 4GL other than that you can set the output ( standard output or stream ) to a printer and print text. If you need to format that text you need to include the control specific printer control sequences into the text yourself. The only other option you have is to use a third party tool.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.

jmac12

I've got a font related question... is there anyway to underline say text in a fill-in without having to change the font and save it in the ini?

Progress / OpenEdge does not control the printing, the operating system does.
Simple solution is (windows environment) output data to a Word Document or whatever is installed and let that program and the OS deal with the printing. Note/ wordpad are included with the GUI OS.
Using this method U can play with the font type / sizes ...

Example syntax would be to OUTPUT a stream to filename.doc, once the data is extracted it is no longer a Progress problem

FrancoisL

is there anyway to underline say text in a fill-in without having to change the font and save it in the ini?

This must be one of my biggest annoyance with OpenEdge , one dark age limitation that should not exists in any programming language ... Being able to dynamically be able to use any fonts that system has available should be a no brainer ... but no , we have to define them in a stupid INI file to be able to use them.

I would love for a way to change the font table at run-time , it should'nt be this complicated to use fonts....

Progress offers you a procedure you can use to print document with a specific font but it only one font for the entire document (_osprint.p) you can also send escape codes but that usually means bypassing the drivers.