Problem with OE10 Webspeed & .css

rairch

Hi All,

OE10.1A
IE6

We have recently upgraded our systems to OE10.1A, however until last week our Webspeed system hadn't been migrated. This I am currently attempting to do.

Unfortunately it seems that we are having problems with the display of our website under version 10.

Basically a system that displayed quite happily under v9.1D (& still does) looks completely different (& terrible) under OE10. The stylesheet is still being found correctly (as I know from removing the stylesheet) but it doesn't display as it should.

Also we now seem to be getting page load syntax errors for some parts of the code (which are output from a function on page load) which used to work fine under v9.1D.

Does anyone have any ideas what could be the cause. I'm confused as to how different versions of Webspeed/Progress could affect the look & feel of a stylesheet anyway?

I've attached some screenshots so I hope someone out there can help :(

Cheers,

Simon.

Attachments

• OE10 system.jpg
    OE10 system.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 18
  • OE10 Page Load Error.JPG
    OE10 Page Load Error.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 10
  • v91D System.jpg
    v91D System.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 17
I work with Simon, and the problem can now be narrowed down to this:
OE10.1A
IE6

Basically a system that displayed quite happily under v9.1D (& still does) looks completely different (& terrible) under OE10. The stylesheet is still being found correctly (as I know from removing the stylesheet) but it doesn't display as it should.

I've attached some screenshots so I hope someone out there can help

We have addressed the javascript errors in this Webpseed application (for those who come across it in future, Progress have changed acceptable escape characters in strings from v9 to OE10. A \ is no longer taken as an escape char, use ~ instead)

So we are still no closer to understanding why Internet Explorer displays the two versions differently.

We have checked the source HTML which is sent to the browser.
- The code is IDENTICAL under both versions.
- They are both definitely using the same stylesheet
- The source code is produced on the same web server
- We are looking at both using the same browser, on the same client

....yet as the screenshots clearly show, they are displaying differently?

Has anyone come across this before?

Help, this has us completely baffled :confused:

Arrrrgh, never has something so small caused me sooo much bewilderment!!

In v9, Webspeed always placed a comment on the first line of the produced HTML

<!-- Generated by Webspeed: http://www.webspeed.com/, http://www.possenet.org/ -->

In version 10, this comment is now output on the last line of the generated HTML

Any HTML gurus out there will already know why this affected us. For the rest of us mere mortals, here's the reason...

A <!DOCTYPE> tag on the first line of a HTML file specifies what document type and what standards to use for the following HTML. If this tag is not on the first line, then it is ignored.

Soooooo, in v9 when we thought we had developed our pages around the standards in

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd">

this was being completely ignored by the browser.

The migration to OE10 (and the subsequent relocation of the Webspeed comment) meant that the browser started to apply these standards, which mucked up our display

ARRRRRRGH!!

We could either redesign our pages based on the specified doc type or the quick fix is to simply put our own comment on the first line. After wasting nearly two days trying to fix this, I can safely say the quick fix is a welcome one.

Hope this reply helps some poor soul avoid the same headaches we've just been though.

Regards,
Tony

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
In oe101.b : in src/web/object/web-disp.p stands this line on line no. 105.

in version 9.1 this line is in src/web/objects/web-util.p (output-content-type line 1343).

You can put it back in output content type like in version9 or you can remove it.

Regards,

Casper.