Problem linking to Open Edge 10.2B from 64 bit Sql Server 2005

pinne65

Hello,

Trying to create linked OE 10.2B databases in SQL server 2005 64 bit running on Windows 2003.

We are using the Open Edge 10.2B 64 bit 5.30.00.98 ODBC driver by DataDirect?

I'm able to successfully create and test the connection for the ODBC data source against the Open Edge database. But when I try to create a link in SQL Server it fails the connection test with the message at the end.

The weird thing is that it works linking to an MySQL database using it's 64 bit driver. Both drivers use the MSDASQL provider. This kind of leads me to think there's something wrong with the Progress driver.

Linking from a 32 bit SQL Server to the same Progress database using ODBC datasources with the same connection settings works fine. The 32 bit driver is version 6.00 though.

Cannot initialize the data source object of OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "ASOK".
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "ASOK" returned message "[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Driver's SQLSetConnectAttr failed.".
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "ASOK" returned message "[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Access denied(Authorisation failed)".
OLE DB provider "MSDASQL" for linked server "ASOK" returned message "[DataDirect][ODBC Progress OpenEdge Wire Protocol driver]Optional feature not implemented.". (.Net SqlClient Data Provider)

pinne65

Solved,

It seems the problem was not with the druiver after all. But rather how the linked server was created in this version of SQL Server. I was not able to make it accept username/password in the provider string. Once I used the security tab and filled in remote user name and password on the linked server props it worked fine.