onlie database backup progress 8.1e

tjsingh

Hi

My backup has been failing so was wondering if its possible to do an online backup like in v9 upwards

could some one please give me commands

cheers

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
8.1e? Are you sure about that?

If so then, obviously, you should upgrade...

None the less -- the command hasn't changed:

probkup online dbname devicename

(although I'm not certain when the "online" option was introduced -- 8.1 was a loooong time ago.)

You should also, of course, be using after-imaging.

tjsingh

Hi

Wish we could upgrade but the ERP that we run is old and caanot be run on openedge

we do not have after-imaging so can not do probkup

is there any other way?

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Tom meant to say that you /should/ enable after imaging if you have any care for your data. You don't need After imaging for making an online backup but you need after imaging for recovery, otherwise you are bound to loose data some day.

If the KB (5967) is correct, then online backup is possible long before version 8. So online backup should work for you.
What is your exact problem?
Do you get an error when trying to run online backup?
Did you actually tried the command Tom gave you?

Regards,

Casper.

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
And another thing... what do you mean by "my backup has been failing"? Is there an error message of some sort? I would think that the first thing that you would want to do is to understand and fix that problem rather than change to an online backup without understanding that issue. (Most of the failure modes that I can think of wouldn't go away just because you changed to an online backup...)

tjsingh

hi

i know what the problem is now. the size of the tape iis 2gb and we are going over that! lovely unix does not tell me anything like windows! ;p

But i have trncated log files which were big and the backup has run just need to do some housekeeping on the data.

We are moving onto a new server so how would i enable after-imaging?

cheers

tj

taqvia

Even for unix a log will be generated are u using netbackup for the backup process u can always generate the log file for the backup activity may be something like this
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpbackup -p ${POOL} -L ${REPORT} -h ${HOST} -w ${ARCHIVE_DIR}/${TCYCLE} 2>&1.

This will generate the report file which will be useful to debug the issue.

rfutil <dbname> -C aimage begin

Note you should also have defined ai extents in the structure file atleast define 5-6 extents so that switching can happen. also note u should also have proper ai scripts so that u can back up ur ai files and resuse them when needed.

AT

taqvia

Small correction use netbackup only for archiving files to the tape. dont take a live database backup thru os command.
always use probkup

4GLNewbie

Cant you create your backup on your local hd and then move it to an external hd using a simple script ?

If your db increases in size, you will soon have the same problem!

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
If you use the -vs option on the backup, it will fill one volume and prompt you for another. Unix or Windows.

cferriol

We use this script in Linux. I'm sure it works in Unix

fecha=`(set \`date +%Y%m%d \` ; echo $1 )`

# Directory with databases
DBDIR=/usr/dbdir
# Directory to store backup
# Be sure you have enought space in your volume
# and that the directories exist
BKDIR=/usr/bkdir
TMDIR=/usr/bkdir/tmp
# Name each database in use
# or all that you want to backup
# This is an example.
DB01=db1
DB01=db2
DB01=db3

# Go to databases directory
cd $DBDIR
# Backup each database in your system
# Create a backup file for each database
# I use extension .bkp
probkup online $DB01 $TMDIR/$DB01.bkp
probkup online $DB02 $TMDIR/$DB02.bkp
probkup online $DB03 $TMDIR/$DB03.bkp

# Join and files
cd $BKDIR
tar czf $fecha.tgz $TMDIR/*
rm -f $TMDIR/*

# Send backup to tape
tar cvf /dev/st0 *$fecha.tgz

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
This script will fail if the backup file size exceeds 2GB and if the OS or Progress version does not support larger files (which is often the case on older releases of Progress and on Windows).

To do a multi-extent backup to disk first create a file which contains the names of more extents than you imagine you will need. For instance create this as "backup.lis":

c:\backup\dbname.01
c:\backup\dbname.02
c:\backup\dbname.03
c:\backup\dbname.04
c:\backup\dbname.05

Then use a probkup command similar to this:

probkup online dbname c:\backup\dbname.00 -vs 125000 -com < backup.lis

Notice that the first extent "dbname.00" is NOT in the backup.lis file.

The -vs option specifies the volume size in database blocks, 125000 is approximately 2GB if you are using 8K db blocks.

The -com option does not "compress" in the sense that "winzip" et al compress a file. It simply skips empty space in the database. If you compress the backed up extents afterwards you will get still more space savings.

Finally the redirection from backup.lis is simply providing answers to the "next volume" prompts that probkup will provide if more than -vs blocks are backed up. It will not necessarily use every extent named. It is a good idea to always have lots more extents in this file than you actually use and to monitor the number of extents actually created to make sure that you aren't going to need to add more soon.

Restoring is similar with one twist -- if you are restoring on top of an existing structure (which is faster because it eliminates the prostrct create phase) then you need to add a "y" as the first line of the backup.lis file.
(This is because you will be prompted about overwriting the existing db...) Often I create "restore.lis" with "y" as the first line and then append backup.lis to it.