ODBC Issues keep me up at night.

I have had numerous ODBC issues with Progress 10.1C! My current one is that I cannot seem to get the access assignment to work on a new database. I monkey around with until I get it to work, but it is a pain. I ran the following from the expsql command prompt:

create user 'sysadm','squirr1';
grant dba to 'sysadm';
commit;
quit

I got the user sysadm, but no dba rights. This is very frustrating when this happens because I can no longer get back the sqlexp command prompt as anyone, not even the database creator.

Please assist.

Slight correction. I is not that I cannot get in via command prompt. It is that I cannot do anything, including dropping the user that I created without rights. This is becoming quite a pickle as I need to get this database accessible via ODBC.

Help!!!!!

Stefan

Slight correction. I is not that I cannot get in via command prompt. It is that I cannot do anything, including dropping the user that I created without rights. This is becoming quite a pickle as I need to get this database accessible via ODBC.

Help!!!!!

You seem to have had a database in which no users (_user) existed. By creating the user (from the sql side) you have created an _user record. You should have simply granted the rights without creating the user - this creates an implicit user, see progress knowledge base.

The need to create records in the _user table for SQL users (and therefore for ABL users as well) can be avoided in the following ways:

• The database creator will always have DBA permissions, so this user can be used for SQL connections without needing to add to the _user table. Any password can be used when connecting as the database creator in this way; the password is not checked. See article 000001384, "Basic Guide to Defining Progress SQL-92 Database Permissions & Security".
  • An implicit SQL user can be created in the database, which does not need a password. To create a SQL user implicitly, assign permissions to a user that does not exist in the _user table. For example:
GRANT DBA TO user1
The above ssentially creates a new SQL user "user1" without creating a record in _user. The database can now be accessed by user1 in the same way as the database creator account, with the "user1" user name and any password.​
Implicit users can be granted restricted access by granting or revoking specific privileges to specific tables, rather than full DBA rights. For example:​
GRANT SELECT ON pub.Customer to user2;
user2 can connect to the database but can only query the Customer table.​

As to resolving your immediate issue. I think you should be able to connect to your database from data administration with the user password you provided. You should then be able to delete the user.

This is excellent information. I was unaware that I could simply grant dba to a user to create it with the rights that I want. This does not give me a password, but still ... Cool! I also fixed my problem with the rights not getting assigned. I had put the user in with single quotes as I did when I created the user. I granted to the user without quotes and it worked.

As far as granting to a table, this database user actually needs access to all table, so this is correct for my needs.