ODBC Error "Access denied (Authorization failed) (7512)"

NathanB

I am trying to connect Crystal Reports v8 to a progress 9.1b database using the following ODBC settings:

ODBC Settings.gif

The connection tests sucessfully, Crystal sees the Database, Tables and Fields but when I try to browse fields (see the data) or preview the report I get the following error messages:

ODBC Error Messages.gif

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

Nathan

Attachments

• ODBC Settings - web.jpg
    ODBC Settings - web.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 16
  • ODBC Error Messages.jpg
    ODBC Error Messages.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 16

Marian EDU

you need to grant privileges to that 'admin' user, just connect using the 'dba' account (sysprogress) and grant required privileges to admin account

_uJJwAL_

I also have the same error and I am desperately looking for solution. I am trying to connect progress database through odbc in windows 7 and I get the same error "Access Denied". For some database, I can connect and for some I cannot. I am wondering what is causing this error. I would be glad if you could help me and elaborate the solution.

Thanks,
Ujjwal

RealHeavyDude

The reason for the access problems is that the Progress/OpenEdge database is not an SQL database in the first place. That means that you need to set up the SQL security no matter how the security on the 4GL engine is set up. That is because the SQL approach to security is grant whereas the 4GL approach is revoke.

Out-of-the-box you have two options to access the database:

• The OS account under which the database was created.
  • The user SYSPROGRESS created through the data administration tool.

Both of which will have DBA privileges. From there you need to go on and create users on the SQL engine and grant them the necessary priviliges.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.