ODBC connection exceeding max no of connections

hambo12

Hi,

I have connected a progress 9.1E database to another server via an ODBC connection. When I test the connection in windows it connects fine.
I then use the ODBC connection to connect to create a shared data source in SQL reporting services which test connects fine.

I then try to run a simple query on the database:
SELECT Site
FROM PUB.Prdtrx

and I get the following error message:
"Invalid attribute in connection string: user id. Exceeding permissible number of connections".

Is there any way to get around this? I can pull reports etc fine from Crystal reports using the same ODBC connection and credentials on another computer??

I have seen a "Maximum clients per server" setting in progress explorer for the database, but I dont want to touch it without knowing what it does...

rstanciu

the parameter -n is the number of connected clients you can change this to a greater value. Also the -Mn parameter ... to be greater.
Normaly the -n parameter have to be EQ to the licence (showcfg) but technicaly, there is
no limited for a RDBMS Entreprise edition (WorkGroup Edition is limied to -n 50)

Attachments

• Capture-XP - VMware Workstation.jpg
    Capture-XP - VMware Workstation.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 26

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
The error exceeding permissible connections most times have to do with the availability of free servers.
You can grep for _sqlsrv2 and look up the pidnumber in promom R&R 1,3 to see how many free connections the server has.
I suppose you have a secondary sql broker.
If you don't then configure a secondary sql broker for configured to handle as many connectins as expected.
If you do then just add another server and increase -Mpb with 1.
If you would be on a more recent version then increasing -Ma would be enough. -Ma for _sqlsrv2 in 10.1B and up is typically a high value (say 20).

Casper.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Normaly the -n parameter have to be EQ to the licence (showcfg)

Not at all true. -n is merely simultaneous connections, which is not how any version of Progress is licensed. It is quite common to set -n much larger than even the concurrent user license count, e.g., when users often open up multiple screens on one PC.

hambo12

The error exceeding permissible connections most times have to do with the availability of free servers.
You can grep for _sqlsrv2 and look up the pidnumber in promom R&R 1,3 to see how many free connections the server has.
I suppose you have a secondary sql broker.
If you don't then configure a secondary sql broker for configured to handle as many connectins as expected.
If you do then just add another server and increase -Mpb with 1.
If you would be on a more recent version then increasing -Ma would be enough. -Ma for _sqlsrv2 in 10.1B and up is typically a high value (say 20).

Casper.

Wow. I have no idea what that means. Sorry, not an advanced progress guy, you may have to spell it out for me :)

TomBascom

Curmudgeon
That is spelled out.

Perhaps you should bring in an experienced Progress consultant to mentor and guide you for a bit? It would save a lot of time and agony.