Obtaining and Comparing data from SQL Database

DaveAston

Hi

I am using 10.2a and have a SQL 2008 db. I want to query a set of records held in Progress is the same as held in SQL. My initial though was to create a temptable to hold my data in progress but am not sure how to query the SQL DB to obtain the data and how to hold it when i have it?

Any help would be appreciated

RealHeavyDude

You basically have two options:

• Compare the contents of the two databases in a third party tool that uses SQL to access the databases - you need to setup the SQL access on the Progress database. That does not require you to buy any special license but you might be forced to leave the ABL comfort zone.
  • Compare the contents of the two databases within an ABL procedure: You need the MS SQL data server product from Progress which allows you to work with it almost as it was a Progress database. This approach requires you to buy the data server product from Progress.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

DaveAston

Hi Real

On the case today :)

I had a feeling that may be the case the dataserver isnt too expensive so may go down that route.

The premise is to check that some data has hit the SQl database and if the data has been flagged with a status change to then change the status in Openedge.

Dous it make any difference if the SQL data can be accessed via web services?

Dave

RealHeavyDude

If there is a web service providing you with the necessary data then, IMHO, you are able to achieve what you want, as OE10.2a supports web services calls. If the web service you call is not an OpenEdge web service, most likely, you will get the data as an XML structure that you will need to parse yourself ( the ABL provides DOM and SAX to do that ).

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

DaveAston

Ah, that may be answer. Its prep work to query a sql db that is being updated via mobile devices, the data passes through a mobile gateway which supports web services.

The customer has Openedge websrvices configured already so will create a new appserver and try and query the gateway

Thanks for the help Real

Dave