Missing database fields

TSeegers

Here is my problem.

-I've set up an progress 10.1A database named: 'ontwikkel' with the following table: 'personen'.
-I want to acces this database within microsoft ACCES2007 so I've used a ODBC.
-In ACCES I can connect to the database but I can't acces the table 'personen'. -> error: 7747
-So I thought that I have to GRANT the table.
-I typed the following in a procedure:
"grant select on personen to tyas." (where personen=tablename and tyas=username)
-When compiling the error says: Table personen does not exist or cannot be accessed. (962)
(I also tried varations of statement like "grant select on pub.personen to tyas."
"grant select on ontwikkel.personen to tyas.")
-It looks like the table: 'personen' does not exists but in the data dictionary it does. The strange thing is that when I set up an connection with "FlySpeed Query Tool"(an SQL explorer) the table 'personen' doesnt exist either.

I think that when i GRANT the table, the problem is solved and I can connect to the database and tables within ACCES2007. So... who can help me GRANT these tables......

your help will be appreciated.

RealHeavyDude

Which login credentials did you use to do the ODBC connection?

Connecting the first time via ODBC/JDBC there are only two login credentials accepted by the database:
  • The credentials of the OS user account under which the database was created.
  • The user SYSPROGRESS if it does exist in the _User table.
Only these two users can grant permissions to other users.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.

TSeegers

Thanks for your reply RealyHeavyDude

I've tried to GRANT with user SYSPROGRESS and with the user of the OS, but it didn't help. (BTW user SYSPROGRESS didnt exist so i added this user)
When i run the following procedure:
"grant select on personen to tyas." (where personen=tablename and tyas=username)
I still get the error:
Table personen does not exist or cannot be accessed.

I hope that you got any other ideas

TSeegers

Again thank you for your quick reply

When running a procedure with:
"GRANT SELECT ON PUB.personen TO tyas;"
the compiler thinks that i want to Grant table 'personen' in database 'pub' (my database is called 'ontwikkel')
I tried many different statements
"GRANT SELECT ON ontwikkel.PUB.personen TO tyas;"
"GRANT SELECT ON ontwikkel.personen TO tyas;"
etc.
eventually the error will be : Table personen does not exist or cannot be accessed.

RealHeavyDude

Maybe I got this wrong - so ...

Do you try to run this in the Progress procedure editor - because it won't. The Progress procedure only support some basic SQL89. You need to run this from an SQL tool - like the SQL Explorer which ships with OpenEdge.

HTH, RealHeavyDude.

TSeegers

No you are right... :)
I did try to run the statement with the procedure editor. I will search for an SQL tool and will try it in that, btw i can't find SQL explorer....
When i find a SQL tool I will try to grant the tables in there.
I will let you know if it succees.

TSeegers

I found that SQL Explorer does not ships with OpenEdge 10.1a. So i downloaded Squirrel, with this tool I succeed in GRANT my tables. Thank you for your help RealHeavyDude.

unfortunately...
Grant my tables didn't solve my problem. I still can't get to my tables within MS ACCESS2007:(
But for that problem i will open another thread.

RealHeavyDude

With the advent of OpenEdge Architect and it's included DB Navigator, the powers that be at Progress in all their wisdom and generosity, decided that the GUI version of the SQL Explorer is obsolete - still the ChUI version is in the product (at least as of OE10.1c), you'll find it %DLC%/bin/sqlexp.bat - for whatever that's worth ...

That means - not using OpenEdge Archtict is your fault and your fault alone ... don't get the idea to blame Progress for it.

Regards, RealHeavyDude.