MD5 'hashing' algorithm using file input?

Larry Leeth

The objective is to be able to archive data from the DB to an OS file, 'hash' it to generate a 'message digest, then store the message digest and the file name in the DB.

Before reloading the archive file, the message digest would be re-computed and compared to the original. If they match, the re-load would continue.

My first thought was to use the 'ENCODE()' function.However there is a 32K limit on the value of the input variable.

Next, I looked at the MD5 algorithm from http://www.amduus.com/OpenSrc/SrcLib/Encrypt/MD5.p,
but it appears to have the same limitation.

Next, I noticed that SonicMQ has a 'payload encryption' option which uses -in part - MD5. [See Progress KBase entry 19445]
"The Progress payload encryption algorithm uses DES (plus MD5) when security is enabled."

So, obviously Progress has an MD5 implementation which 'should' be able to operate on arbitrarily large files. Any experience with this SonicMQ functionality?

Another obvious option is simply to interface to some external MD5 based piece of software, such as PGP's PKI package.
For a variety of reasons, I prefer a Progress solution.

Any suggestions?

Larry