jvmStart & My Event ID (100) Peeve

Fuzzmaster

Anyone else annoyed by the following event messages (usually found in the Application Log on Windows systems)?:

The description for Event ID ( 100 ) in Source ( jvmStart ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer...

I typically find these errors in groups of three anytime I stop or start the AdminServer. Usually they end (when all is well in the world) with one of the following:

[SIZE=-1]The following information is part of the event: processid ####.
The following information is part of the event: Successfully started.
The following information is part of the event: completed.

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]While I have yet to find a way to suppress these Informational Event Messages; You can make them less annoying[/SIZE][SIZE=-1] via a couple of registry entries in the "HKLM/System/CurrentControlSet/Services/Eventlog/Application/jvmStart/" Note: If you don't already have a jvmStart key just add one.

Then add the following REG_SZ & REG_DWORD:

REG_SZ Name = "EventMessageFile"
REG_SZ Type = String
REG_SZ Value = "[Progress Installation Path]\bin\jvmStart.exe"

REG_DWORD Name = "TypesSupported"
REG_DWORD Type = Hex
REG_DWORD Value = 7

If all's well in registryville the excess fat has been trimmed from those rather annoying messages leaving you with just:

jvmStart: processid XXX.
jvmStart: Successfully started.
jvmStart: completed.

For more read this fine article by [/SIZE]Ingmar:

http://www.eventlogblog.com/blog/2008/04/event-log-message-files-the-de.html

Hopefully, I can find a way to change the logging level for jvmStart as it's excessive messaging runs contrary to my level of retention.

- John
[SIZE=-1]

[/SIZE]

Back