Is it possible to ignore indexes when defining temp table like db table?

Cringer

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Is it possible to ignore indexes when defining temp table like db table? I have a db table that has a unique index on it, but the temp table can quite validly have duplicates in it (because there's an additional field that's on the temp table that defines uniqueness). Is there a way I can define my temp table like the db table, but ignore any indexes?

Cringer

Staff member
Found the way already. Can just define another index on the tt with the same name and it overrides that of the db definition it seems.

RealHeavyDude

That is expected behavior. Whenever you define something LIKE then everything will be inherited except what you explicitly define. That of course will take precedence.

Heavy Regards, RealHeavyDude.

Cringer

Staff member
Thanks RHD - I expected to get an error if I tried to define the index - attempt to define duplicate index, or something of that ilk. :)

If I recall correctly, when you define your TT LIKE it will inherit the indexes from the database. BUT - if you specify your own index, any of the database indexes you want must be now be specified to be included as part of the temp-table definition. So you may want to check your TT and see if it has all the indexes you think it has.

After posting this, I reread the Help on defining Temp-Tables. Here are a couple of snippits:

If you use the USE-INDEX option, only the definitions you specify with that option are copied to the temp-table.

If you do not specify the USE-INDEX option and do not use the INDEX option of the DEFINE TEMP-TABLE statement,
then all index definitions are copied from the specified table to the temp-table.