Answered How to "prodict" without 4GL Development Kit?

Hello community,

My objective is to make an automated dump/load of data and definitions of a certain database, from CLI. But there is no shell tool for that and I am researching for build my own ABL tool.

I know the article 15884 in Progress Community. It's not enough because I don't have 4GL Development Kit licence in the server.
Should I extract the pl's files mentioned in that post anyway? Is that "legal"?

Also I read a little more (article P11858) and found this GitHub project (progress/ADE/tree/v11.7.13.0) published like this was free, but I want to be sure.

Thank you for your attention and responses.

c_verbiest

PCT has targets for dumping & loading data & definitions, see Home.
PCT is shipped with recent OpenEdge versions

For specific dump & load needs, I created code Using the OpenEdge.DataAdmin.* packages.
Unfortunately those are largely undocumented, it required a couple of tech support cases before I could get that working.

Thanks for your responses, they were of help.

Also, if you're going to reference KB articles that you think are relevant and expect your audience to be aware of, it's helpful to provide links to those articles so it's easier for others to help you.
I did it but the forum told it's SPAM, so I had to erase them and paste plain text.

peterjudge

It's not enough because I don't have 4GL Development Kit licence in the server.
Should I extract the pl's files mentioned in that post anyway? Is that "legal"?

Extracting the PL files that Progress ships is perfectly legal - Progress supplies tools (in $DLC/src) to help you do just that.

The requirement for the development license on the server is due to how the data dictionary was written, a very long time ago. It uses named arguments - not parameters - to do some quasi-dynamic coding, and this type of code needs a development license.

I do not know if PCT or the OpenEdge.DataAdmin classes have the same requirement or not.