How to Connect Progress DB with Merant

sahuri

Hi All,
I install progress 9.1D on windows XP.
I connect to progress DB via ODBC with Merant 3.60 32-BIT driver but there error message:[DataDirect-Technologies][ODBC PROGRESS driver[[PROGRESS]No Data. do you have solution for my problem? please...

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
How did you set up your database? ( you need a secondary SQL broker if you are in a multi user environment)
How did you configure your dsn (correct portnumber?)

BTW what servicepack are you using?
If you want to use SQL then you should update to at least 9.1D09.
(Actually 10.1C woud be much better... :awink:)

Casper.

sahuri

I use Windows XP SP1.

Data Source : COBA
Host name : localhost
Port number : 20931
Database Name : MySport

Thanks you!

Casper

Staff member
Hi there,

The port you entered isn't the port you configured for your database.

This is the port for the adminserver.

Do you use progress explorer to configure your database?

Casper.

Casper

Staff member
Ok,

If you are the only user then just start up your database with
Code:
proserve /path/to/dtabase/databasename -B someappropiatevalue -N TCP -S <somefreeportnumber like 11000> -H <hostname>

Furthermore you must create a user called sysprogress (SQL DBA acount)with some password to be able to get acces with sql.

If more users will be connecting to the databas then you have to set up a secondary broker.

Casper.

Casper

Staff member
Sorry forgot the -db...

Code:
proserve [B]-[/B]db /path/to/database/databasename -B someappropiatevalue -N TCP -S <somefreeportnumber like 11000> -H <hostname>

Casper.

Casper

Staff member
??

What do you mean?

If you go with proenv to the directory where the database resides then you just enter the command I gave and it will start....

Casper.

sahuri

well, i've try it and it shows some messages error that said cannot post a 'dbName_PROGRESS' event to Event Viewer. thank you...

Casper

Staff member
Those are just warnings and have to do with permission on registry keys. Not critical. If you did teh proserve comand, then the database is running.

So now you can enter the portnumber you started the database with in your DSN, then you should be able to connect.

Casper.