Help! Data load from menu not working

daveprice74

Hello, suddenly having a strange problem -- I cannot load multiple .d files into our two production databases using the Data Dictionary tool. Single files are okay, but on both databases if I try more than one file the screen just flashes and it doesn't load.

This process worked fine with both databases when we tested it three times on our Dev server, but for some reason now it doesn't work. I tried shortening directory path, restarting DB, can't think of anything else.

This is a Progress 8.3A database on HP-UX 11.11 (ridiculous, I know).

I am able to load single files with the tool without issue, but I'd rather not load 600 tables manually.

EDIT: Tried loading multiple tables on the source database (same server) and it works fine. Weird! The only difference is that the new database is 8K, and the old is 1K. But the 8K databases were able to load just fine in our Dev/Test environment, and they all use the same parameters.

Setting acceptable error to 100 does nothing, either.

Rob Fitzpatrick

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Given that it works properly on another database on the prod server it sounds like the problem may be in your DB rather than your DLC installation.

I'd be inclined to move aside these empty prod databases that you're trying to load into and recreate them from scratch. Start with empty8, load your application schema, sequence values, users, etc., then try again to load your .d files.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
Are you getting .e files in the directory where the .ds are? Check them for errors. How about the log?

daveprice74

Thanks Rob, that sounds like good advice. I'd like to do that but unfortunately they're not empty, to minimize the outage time we preloaded about 90% of the historical data (which could not be done through the tool anyway due to 2G limit). The pre-loads of historical data into the big tables took all week, and this is our last migration window for months, and we're not 100% sure the db will survive till the next one with the hard 64G limit approaching... Argh! [shakes fist at IT budget]

Fortunately the tool seems to work in the smaller db when I shut down the server and did the load in single user mode (this was never necessary before). Seems to be working on the other one as well. Whew!

Maybe we can do another dump/load at the next window, into a new db, just to be safe -- this should be a lot faster with the 8K. Probably I should also create another empty 8K db and see if I can replicate the problem...

daveprice74

tamhas -- No .e, nothing in the log. Seems like it just fails to start the process at all, and doesn't tell anyone why.

tamhas

ProgressTalk.com Sponsor
I would think there is a good chance the schema's don't actually match perfectly, especially given the vintage (and I use the word intentionally) of the version when the CRC check was sensitive to more things. You could try running an incremental .df between the two.

daveprice74

That was my thought too... but it does work in single-user, and for individual tables in server mode -- the same tables that fail when I run them together (any more than one, it fails in server mode).

I am baffled.