Hello all.

As a new user of the webspeed product,
I have tried to get global parameters FROM
QAD MFGPRO APP data via this procedure

{mfdeclre.i}
display global_userid /* operating system */
mfguser /* QAD session userid */

but i get no results only messages like :

Shared variable global_user_lang_dir has not yet been created. (392)

I appreciate your kind help.

avi o.:confused:

Casper

ProgressTalk.com Moderator
Staff member
Hi there,

First of all. I have to say that I don't know anything of mfg/pro...

WebSpeed is a way of connecting to a database (any Progress database) over the Internet. Ntohing more and nothing less.

The webspeed agent is a character client connected to the database as configured with the Progress explorer. The best way to configure a webspeed agent is in stateless mode. Which means that a programm is run on the agent, which retrieves information form the database. After that the connection is gone and no session information is available in the webpseed agent.

If you want to know the value of a global shared variable then it must be known by the agent. This is only possible if you have a state-aware agent. Which is a dedicated agent to one session. This is a very bad and expensive design for a WebSpeed application.

If it's important to know certain values in your webpseed application then you have to retrieve these values once and store them in your session information, which can be a flat file on the server or an entry in a table.
Using this mechanism the agent can still operate as stateless and the session can still be aware of certain values.

At startup your mfg/pro application initiates and populates certain global shared variables which can be used throughout the application. With WebSpeed you want your session to be as short as possible, so no information is stored in your session but the session information is stored externally (as I said in tables or a flat file on the server).

If, after reading this, you still want your program to work like you think it should, then the only way to do this is to configure a state-aware agent, run the programm in which you declare the shared variables as NEW, populate them and display them in a browser. (again this is a very expensive solution since licensecost for a webspeed transaction server (agent) is much more then licensecost for standard 4GL client).

HTH,

Casper