Format Question - Tricky

WGW

The question is this:

What is the difference between '...FORMAT "x(8)"...' and '...FORMAT "X(8)"...'?

Every programmer I've worked with didn't realize there was a slight difference between these two statements. A while back, I even got an error due to this difference. Although the exact details escape me, I just remember telling the person who wrote the code before me to use lower-case 'x' as the standard.

Now I can't even remember the exact reason why these statements are so different. A quick thumb through the manuals didn't help much either. Can anyone remind me so I can quit searching?

WGW

A bit more info.

I remember the error had to do with defining a variable in two locations. One was set to upper case 'X' and the other to lower case 'x'. The error had to do with the definition parameters not matching.

I can't remember if it was a temp-table field, how the definitions bridged two locations, or any other details.

Perhaps someone can help come up with scenarios where this small difference in definition statements would cause an error.

WGW

I can't believe it. Not even a few comments of disbelief that those two statements are different! Nothing.

Do you have to beg around here to get a response? Can anyone recommend an active Progress message board? :awink:

Crittar

I've tried to produce an error using the two different formats and I can't do it. It is of course possible that the error you saw was in an earlier version of Progress and is no longer around.

I hope you do find an answer - I know how these silly little questions can be really annoying.

I just tried shared variables is two different programs with differing case in version 8.3B and 91.C and both appear to work fine. I know progress is very pick about undo status and variable type but I think display format isn't really verified.

Crittar

I tried similar test with same results. Unless it was a much earlier version I can see no functional difference between the two formats.

laa

To be completely honest I vaguely remember something about a minor difference between the two formats. I don't believe that it was anything that anyone would commonly come across but there was a difference. Unfortunately, I can't for the life of me remember what the difference was. Since I have been working in Progress for over 10 years I can't even tell you what version of Progress I think this was associated to.

Sorry, but I'm not on any help.

Anne.