file upload in OE 10.1B

netfreaky

Hi all,

I'm programming a little "file upload tool" to attach files to the filing card of a person. This isn't a very big problem, using a file picker and copying the file using a dos-silent-value.

The real challenge is to show the process in a progress bar. Did someone try this before?

Using a microsoft ocx doesn't work right now, because i don't have a way to get the processed bytes, etc.
I found several links to sites like http://www.global-shared.com and smartpak, but all those domains where taken over by crappy search- and link engines.

Thanks in advance,

Tom

Hi all,

I'm programming a little "file upload tool" to attach files to the filing card of a person. This isn't a very big problem, using a file picker and copying the file using a dos-silent-value.

The real challenge is to show the process in a progress bar. Did someone try this before?

Using a microsoft ocx doesn't work right now, because i don't have a way to get the processed bytes, etc.

I'm a little confused - how are you going to show progress without knowing how far along the file(s) you are?

Or are you asking how you get this info mid-copy?

I'm also not sure whether you mean you are uploading files to the database (in which case you can use streams, and represent progress quite easily), or to another computer, where a simple message and egg timer should be sufficient for modest sized files.

netfreaky

I'm a little confused - how are you going to show progress without knowing how far along the file(s) you are?

Or are you asking how you get this info mid-copy?

I'm also not sure whether you mean you are uploading files to the database (in which case you can use streams, and represent progress quite easily), or to another computer, where a simple message and egg timer should be sufficient for modest sized files.

I'ld prefer uploading to another server, mostly on the same location as the application is running from, which means it can be done quickly... (but when it's not on the same location copying will last much, much longer)

Is it possible to get that info while copying? (otherwise I'ld show a message to tell it's busy).