File transfer from UNIX server to local hard disk

shameek_k

Hi,

I m working on Mfg/Pro eB version (CHUI). I m accessing it thru my local PC using AniTa. I have developed a report that generates the output that can be opened in Excel. But to view the report in Excel I have to first FTP it to my local hard disk and then view it. Does anyone know how can I perform this step directly thru my program so that as soon as the report is completed, the output file is FTPied to my local machine.

Regards,

Shameek

prog_user

Transfering Files from Unix to Local Drive

Ricardo -
Can you please give an example as even im facing the same problem here.

:awink:

warba

If you are accessing a ChUI application using a PC, you are maybe using telnet ??

If so, many telnet clients allow you to send special escape sequences that will let you run a command on the PC. You could use this to copy the file to your PC.

We do this type of excel import from a UNIX ChUI application, but we have facetwin running on the UNIX box so we can see the UNIX directories just like network directories. Then we use the "special" escape sequences with our telnet client (NetTerm) to run excel like:
c:\program files\microsoft office\office\excel.exe \\unixhost\xlsdir\myexcelfile.csv

Excel starts and opens the file automatically; all controlled from the UNIX progress ChUI application.

Crittar

Whilst it may not be ideal:

You can open a file in excel using an FTP location - this cuts out the step of copying to the pc disk outside of excel. If all else fails you could try this.

Rizo123

There are a number of ways to do this.

I would do this one in one of two ways, they both utilize the Progress 'unix' command

1. You could utilize your mailx command in your program.
This one is dependent upon if you have sendmail configured.
eg.
unix silent
uuencode /tmp/temp.csv temp.csv| mailx -m -s test test@test.com
This would result in an email with an attachment

2. You could do an auto ftp to a specific NT server on your network
through your program. You would code the ftp script into you program.
This one is dependent upon the NT server ftp service running and configured.

ddegroot

The Old Fashioned way

When you are using a good Telnet / SSH Client to access your MFGPro machine (like NetTerm) you will have full Terminal Emulation, including printer support (Something that old fasioned terminals had as well. They came with a printer port on the back).

These old terminals used two special ESC codes to start and stop printing. Before they wanted to print something, they would send ESC[5i. Than print everything to the screen invisably and end with ESC[4i to resume the normal terminal session.

A good terminal program will have this feature. In Netterm you can define a printer or text file as you like. NetTerm as another couple of ESC sequences to be send to a specific program (netedit). You could actually setup netterm to ataumatically pipe the output directly into excel (That's what we do).

You simply add a new printer to MFGPro (we call them trmprint, trmexcel, trmsend). In the printer definition you send all the output directly to the terminal screen after having set the appropriate ESC code.

If you like i could send you our setup (give me an e-mail at ddegroot@semecs.com).

I'm intrested in you excel conversion solution. Could you send me an e-mail about that please ??

Lots of success,

Diederik de Groot
General IT Consultant
Talon / Semecs

ddegroot

MFG2XLS MFGpro -> Excel in CHUI

Hi,

I actually created a program for CHUI to be able to export any report to Excel without recoding anything in mfgpro. I just made a program that automatically converts any MFGPro report (Being standard MFGPro, CSV or CVSMixed) into excel and perform any extra tasks upon completion (starting macro's for example).

The program is called MFG2XLS.exe and can be downloaded for free from our server : http://www.talon.nl/nl/site/start/projects/mfg2xls.html

The setup manual can be found on this page. You just need to install the program on every client, create a printer in MFGPro and have a terminal program that supports remote printing and editing (like netterm)

Hope you like it.

Regards,

Diederik de Groot
ddegroot@talon.nl
www.talon.nl

shameek_k said:
Hi,

I m working on Mfg/Pro eB version (CHUI). I m accessing it thru my local PC using AniTa. I have developed a report that generates the output that can be opened in Excel. But to view the report in Excel I have to first FTP it to my local hard disk and then view it. Does anyone know how can I perform this step directly thru my program so that as soon as the report is completed, the output file is FTPied to my local machine.

Regards,

Shameek

ddegroot

MFG2XLS MFGpro -> Excel in CHUI

Hi All,

Addendum : Using the sendfile and edit function in Netterm i actuall creates a program for CHUI to be able to export any report to Excel without recoding anything in mfgpro. I just made a program that automatically converts any MFGPro report (Being standard MFGPro, CSV or CVSMixed) into excel and perform any extra tasks upon completion (starting macro's for example).

The program is called MFG2XLS.exe and can be downloaded for free from our server : http://www.talon.nl/nl/site/start/projects/mfg2xls.html

The setup manual can be found on this page. You just need to install the program on every client, create a printer in MFGPro and have a terminal program that supports remote printing and editing (like netterm)

Hope you like it.

Regards,

Diederik de Groot
ddegroot@talon.nl
www.talon.nl

JohnHyde

UNIX to PC Browser and XLS converter

We have developed software that does exactly what you want:

(1) Run ANY report on your UNIX software.
(2) See the report INSTANTLY in a Windows browser.
+ Scroll up and down if you want
+ Save to a PC file if you want
+ Print to a PC printer if you want
(3) Click on the "XL" button and see the data as an XL spreadsheet.

Multiple reports can be "parked" on your desktop - each in its own window.

You can run this with any telnet terminal emulator.

See more on http://www.PennineSolutions.com/2020.htm

Regards, John Hyde

M.Fondacci

xSpool could be the right solution !

Hello,

May I suggest to use xSpool ?
xSpool is a freeware from 4gl (www.4GL.fr) and etablishes a connection between a host and a client (FTP) to transfer given files. It runs as a background process on the PC and retrieves files posted on the server for the workstation.
When files are received on the PC, they are processed and corresponding applications are called automatically.

When we wrote this software, it was initially to interface chUI applications with nice xPrint reports (a lot of our users are QAD users and they now have WINDOWS WYSIWYG previews, images, colors etc... on their screens), but it has now a lot of additional usages : communication between workstations, open of a worksheet, a document or a Adobe file on any PC.

Best regards,
Marcel FONDACCI