File Date and Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

tgounden

Hi,

I am using Progress 83C on a Unix server in character mode. I need to get the creation date and time of a file and then inform the user of these details. Any ideas on how I can accomplish this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Check the FILE-INFO handle.

Try:
FILE-INFO:FILE-NAME = "/data/files/theFile" NO-ERROR.

And then:
DISPLAY
String (FILE-INFO:FILE-CREATE-DATE, "99/99/9999") format "X(20)"
STRING (FILE-INFO:FILE-CREATE-TIME, "HH:MM:SS") format "X(20)" .

Also, it might be worth you looking up the other attributes of FILE-INFO in the help files.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Thanks Robert,

I have tried using the FILE-INFO handle attributes but I don't get the desired results. Some of the attributes work and some don't. Unfortunately it states in the documentation that the FILE-CREATE-DATE & FILE-CREATE-TIME attributes only work on the Windows platform - my Progress is on a Unix server and I access it through a terminal emulator.

I have tried using FILE-MOD-DATE and FILE-MOD-TIME but they give me the following error message when run:

"Unknown attribute FILE-mod-date used in widget:attribute phrase. (3406) ** Could not understand line 6. (196) "

How can I get around this problem.

Thanks
Terrence

AFAIK Your average Unix system doesn't store creation date or time. Just last access and last update.

For what Nick says FILE-MOD-DATE and FILE-MOD-TIME would be the only available alternative for you, on UNIX.
But if this doesn't work, you could always do an
os-command("ls -l " + filename + " > /tmp/tempfile")
and then parse the contents of the file /tmp/tempfile, but I admit that this solution is less ideal...

HTH

Robert

Another alternative

Code:
INPUT THROUGH VALUE ( "ls -l " + cFileName ).
...saves having to use an intermediate file.

Of course, this still doesn't help you with your original 'creation date' problem.

I also notice you're on 8.3, and I didn't think FILE-INFO:FILE-CREATE-DATE, FILE-CREATE-TIME, FILE-MOD-DATE and FILE-MOD-TIME were supported until V9? (I'm fully expecting to be corrected here :awink: ).

> I also notice you're on 8.3, and I didn't think FILE-INFO:FILE-CREATE-DATE, FILE-CREATE-TIME, FILE-MOD-DATE
> and FILE-MOD-TIME were supported until V9? (I'm fully expecting to be corrected here).

No correction needed Nick.
You're right, the attributes FILE-MOD-DATE, FILE-MOD-TIME and FILE-SIZE are version 9 only.

> Of course, this still doesn't help you with your original 'creation date' problem.

Well, the choice is last modification date/time OR nothing.... From there it's upto Terrence....

Hi,

Thanks for all the responses guys - it looks like I will have to settle for the modification date and time using the Unix command.

Unfortunately I am not that clued up on Progress so I need a little more help.

How do I pass the date and time from INPUT THROUGH VALUE ( "ls -l " + cFileName ) to a variable so that I can display it.

Thanks
Terrence:rolleyes:

Something along the lines of...

Code:
INPUT THROUGH VALUE ( "ls -l " + cFileName ).

REPEAT:

/* Import the results of 'ls' one whole line at a time */
  IMPORT UNFORMATTED cFileDetails.

/* Assuming file name is at position 55, try to determine if the current line */
  /* is the right one by comparing the file name */
  IF TRIM ( SUBSTRING ( cFileDetails, 55 ) ) = cFileName THEN DO:
    /* Assuming date and time last modified is at position 42 for 12 characters */
    ASSIGN cFileDate = TRIM ( SUBSTRING ( cFileDetails, 42, 12 ) ).
    LEAVE.
  END.

END.

INPUT CLOSE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back